help- clueless

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

roxychick Posts: 1802
Hi girls, I got my bfp yesterday and rang the doctor today to make an appointment. I'm 4 wks and 4 days pg and he told me there was no need to see him for 2 more weeks. Anybody else experience this. Thought most people went to doc straightaway. So just wondering if I have to get in contact with a hospital or do nothing till I see the doctor. Very confused
Tigletts Posts: 2904
Hello, it is a bit strange that Dr said that, however they're all different. I went to my Dr straight away BUT he didn't do anything really only took my BP he didn't verify I was pregnant or anything. Mind you I had done 3 tests over 2 days so I guess he thought that was enough :o0 But he did say to me if I had any problems/worries to go to him straight away. The hospital won't see you until at least 12 weeks depending on which one you're going to. I know it seems like a long wait, but to be honest if you have no problems there's nothing to do as such. It's understandable you need some reassurance though, so why don't you ring your Dr. back and make up some excuse like you're going away and would prefer to see him now? Unless you want to try another Dr. And in the meanwhile, think of the hospital you want to go to if you have a choice, and whether you're going public, semi or private etc. Good luck and congratulations :wv
Forgottenpassword Posts: 1078
I was over 6 weeks gone when I went to the doctor. I knew I was deffo pregnant and I also knew that all he would do was order blood tests and book me into the hospital. We are in Oz and things are a bit different here, we are going privately and I was able to book my own obs before seeing the GP, and made an appointment to see him at 8 weeks. He has been doing all our care since then. As long as you are not having any very bad pains or bleeding you should be perfectly okay. But, if you are not happy with your doctor now perhaps you should change? FP
brideeee Posts: 1490
HI ya, I went to my GP at 4 weeks and 2 days just to get confirmation etc. Just make an apt with secretary and go see him whenever you want to (or is it a case that you always have to talk to doc?). YOu could just lie and say you want to talk a few things over ahout what you should/shouldn't be doing etc? Doc will be the one to check you in with the hospital and to my mind you can never get in to early with those guys (but on the otherhand, you won't be the first pg lady he has dealt with so he obviouvsly knows the protocol) I hope this helps, x brideeee
fantac Posts: 4109
hey roxy - i was totally clueless too - went to doc at 4w+4, he just did BP and filled out a health board claim form thing, didn't confirm pregnancy, he said the tests don't lie. he did sit me down and have a chat about the chances of mc and told me to call if i had any q's. hth x
roxychick Posts: 1802
thanks guys
2006wedding Posts: 965
i went to doctor at 5+2. I already had a positive test so doc just confirmed I was pregnant and told me to make an appointment with the nurse to get the blood tests etc done. I made an appointment the followin week after my first doctor visit. Since then I alternate between seeing the nurse & doctor every 4 weeks.