Help me plan NYC itinerary!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

hagfromhell Posts: 2146
Going to New York for 7 nights for honeymoon- what do ye recommend we take in So far we have - Yankees Game / Broadway Show / Day Shopping (of course) / Dinner Cruise on Hudson River / Ground Zero Anyone got anymore "MUST SEES / Do's" for us?
fifibelle Posts: 4447
Empire State Building, Sex and The City Tour, Ice Skating (depending on time of year you are going), Stroll in Central Park, Stroll & lunch in Little Italy, visit to Tiffany's, Bloomingdales, Macy's, go on Subway, visit Union Square, visit area around NYU campus, eat pretzels & hot dogs & nuts off strett vendors, I could go on all day!!!
ohsotired Posts: 7071
We went to Coney Island on Easter Sunday when we were there last year & it was lovely!!! They have the original Nathan's Famous Hotdogs there and we stuffed our faces with yummy hotdogs & beer! The NYC Acquariam is there also and there is an amusement park too! You get the subway out and it's well worth it - especially on a nice day!!! Go for a nice walk around central park - if you have the Lonely Planet NYC book (grey/silver cover) they have a really nice walk mapped out in it - we did it last year - you end up at the John Lennon memorial! Other than that we did all the usuals - Empire State, Ellis Island, Top of the Rock, shopping shopping shopping, Wall St, Knicks game in MSG - fantastic!!!!!! Oh so jealous!!!! We're hoping to go back next Easter to get our wedding bands!!!! HTH!! :wv :wv :wv :wv
Missus Lippy Posts: 5879
Go to top of Empire State Building. You can buy the tickets online before you go and if you are willing to pay a bit more, you can get the express ones which means no queuing :o)ll I actually don't think one day is enough for shopping :o0
Senorita Posts: 3413
Take an open top bus tour - we really enjoyed it. 1 days shopping isn't enough though, imo.
mini mama Posts: 834
Defo a broadway show - Phantom of the Opera is on my list,then a day in woodbury common.Wak through times square at night,the smells,the noise,the lights...its just magical...we also bought tickets for the hop on hop off buses...this means you can hop of wherever and the buses come every few mins so you'll never be stranded....we got off at ground zero,empire state building,boat trip past ellis island/staue of liberty,we stopped in canal st to buy some knock off bags,we trravlled through soho and tribeca and all the trendy arty places...we went past central park but next time i want to walk through the park... i fell in love with nyc...you will have an amazing trip...also i think the dollar is at 1.30 ish today so might be worth buying a few dollars here and there to build it up and keep an eye on exchange rate....also there are lovely salons run by thai women and they do amazing nails and treatments etc...i have never been one to do the whole beauticians thing but i got my nails done and had my eyebrows done and was thrilled....just seeing every walk of life,every shape,colour,dress code etc its amazing...even the smell of the food on the st corners is yummy...i am so jealous of you.... :wv
hagfromhell Posts: 2146
Aw I can't wait now. I am looking forward to this so much, more than the wedding! It is awful to say but for one reason or another I have reached 31 and have no passport :-8 . I have only been as far as England and that doesn't count as a holiday IMO :o0 So this means so much to me as New York is the only place I wanted to go
mini mama Posts: 834
You couldnt have picked a better place to go...you will enjoy it so much...you should spoil yourself rotten..also check out the shoes floor in macys...i wasnt a huge fan of macys to be honest but the shoes section had all these shelves with 70% off...i swear i nearly fainted when i saw those lovely red sale signs...i ended up getting 3 pairs of designer shoes for under 30 dollars each.... :o)ll :o)ll Also i picked up loads of bargains for ds....the kids sizes were very generous and alot had elasticted waists so i was thilled to be able to bring him back a few bits.....i am in great form now reliving the memories of our trip there.. Actually one place to stay away from is planet holloywood in times square...it was very busy,very over priced and the service wasnt great at all...but other than that we were thrilled with everything we did there... My mum and her friend go for a wk every yr and they do a run around on day one pricing everything and then on the second last day they do a dash through the shops to pick up what they spotted...they are old pros at the bargain hunting at this stage...i can see where i got it from :o0
Senorita Posts: 3413
[quote="designerwine":33hqe1ny] for one reason or another I have reached 31 and have no passport :-8 . [/quote:33hqe1ny] Hope you have sent off your application for one, designerwine - going by your ticker. Enjoy NY - it will be fantastic.
April2010Bride Posts: 84
I love New York! I was there in January which was where I got engaged! :o)ll :o)ll The Top of the Rock is the best view of New York IMO. You get to see the skyline with the Empire State Building right in front of you. Its amazing at night. :lvs The Rainbow Room is a bar near the top of the Rockefeller Centre. It has a different entrance to the viewing platform It's pretty fancy with an amazing view. Be prepared to pay for the pleasure though. We paid nearly $50 for 2 drinks! :eek I'd recommend the tour of the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. You buy the tickets before you get on the boat and we bought the tickets with the MP3 player tour. You can walk through both the Statue of Lib and Ellis Island and hear all about where you are. Thought it was really interesting. Of course shopping is a must. We got a bus from the Port Authority to Jersey Gardens outlet. It took is all day to go around and we didn't go into all of the shops. Take a trolley when you start - we could only find them at the entrance and needed to back for one after a few shops! Don't forget to stop at the information desk with your ID on the way in to get the discount book. This gives different discounts off most of the shops - 10% off, buy 3 for the price of 2 etc. I think they do something similar in Woodbury Commons but I didn't go there so not 100% sure. If you like Thai food, definitely go to Tao. It was the best dinner we had there. Its near Trump Town and FAO Schwartz. Would definitely recommend it. I've told other friends about this place and they also loved it. I could go on and on! I love the city and hope to go back as soon as the wedding debt is cleared - thats a long way away!! I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time.