Menu

Help! MIL bought her outfit - its black

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

weddingnewbie Posts: 4
My MIL has bought her outfit for the wedding. Its a black and sliver dress with a black jacket. She is getting a black hat and silver shoes and bag to match. I saw it a few weeks ago and said it was nice. It does look lovely on her but I have heard from a few people that it might look as if she is in mourning. My mom says not to rock the boat as I might end up regretting telling her. But maybe my mom's saying that cos she hasnt bought her outfit yet and she wants to have first choice of colours - she feels she still does cos she'd never consider black. My MIL doesnt seem to be aware that black isnt suitable for a Mother of groom and I'm not sure if I'm the one to be informing her - I cant deal with any more stress before the wedding! I'm just looking for any opinions. Is it really that bad to wear black for mother of groom or should I get my fiance to tell her?? Its too late to bring it back now and I think she does think of the money (she got it in the sales) whereas my mom was waiting for sales to be over to buy hers. Is it just a difference in the 2 families way of thinking?! Any opinions girls?? :thnk
Mrstobe10 Posts: 1793
I think black is fine - dont see anything wrong at all with it - I have a feeling that my fmil will prob where black, she always does!!! :wv
under construction Posts: 3458
I say leave her be, she is jazzing it up with a bit of silver . I think black can look really elegant (and sliming) don't know if she carries a bit of weight. But the main thing is that she likes it and feels comfortable in it, don't let it worry you. You have enough to be doing organising a wedding without worrying about what other people are wearing. Just enjoy all the planning and build up to the day.
squiggles Posts: 243
There is nothing wrong with the woman wearing black !!! Don't be so ridiculous, although it is your wedding day, you are not entitled to dictate what colour your fiances mother wears. Black and silver sounds quite elegant to me.
Betsy May Posts: 2168
It's not the best colour she could have chosen but not the worst which would be white. I wouldn't worry about it, she'll look well and no-one will say a word about it.
monkeybear Posts: 1926
I wouldnt worry about it, there'll be plenty of colour elsewehere to make up for her wearing black, i'm sure, Obviously she'll be in some photos but not that many and the focus will be on you and your husband so dont stress, it would be more stressful to say something to her and end up having a huge arguement!!! It'll be fine!!! :wv
Flower Store
maisedon Posts: 1394
I've seen the MIL or mother of the bride in black at plenty of weddings - in my opinion there's absolutely nothing wrong with it, and it can be very elegant. You have nothing to worry about, it'll be lovely! :wv
maisedon Posts: 1394
Actually, now that I think of it, my Mother wore a black sparkly dress with a cream fur wrap over it for our wedding- It was beautiful!!! I obviously had no problem with it, cos I only realised now!!!! :o0 :o0 :o0
architec Posts: 1306
My MIL and my sister both wore black to my wedding, although my sister had a burgundy bolero over her black dress. They looked fine, I didn't have any qualms about either of them wearing black TBH.
weddingnewbie Posts: 4
Thanks girls. I needed reassurance. How worried do us b2b get over the smallest things! I actually had no problem with it until I told a few people who said it might not be the best colour choice. I see no problem with it. She's happy with it and it wont be the same as my mom's colour choice. Happy days! :wv