help, need some advice on dress???

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

lilliebride Posts: 75
hi, really need to start looking for a dress but dont know where to start.. Not sure if im brave enough to by on line, any tips on where to start. Or can anyone suggest some nice shops. thanks O:|
glowgal Posts: 949
First of all where are you based? If near Dublin, I can suggest a few shops. I certainly wouldn't buy online unless you have tried on dresses and know what you are looking for.
[quote="autumnbridetobe":eo5i7qrp]First of all where are you based? If near Dublin, I can suggest a few shops. I certainly wouldn't buy online unless you have tried on dresses and know what you are looking for.[/quote:eo5i7qrp] [b:eo5i7qrp]thanks Autumnbridetobe, I live in Lucan and I dont mind travelling to shops either, gives me and the bm excuse for a day out!! Are you getting married this year?? Our wedding is this Autumn too...[/b:eo5i7qrp][list:eo5i7qrp][/list:u:eo5i7qrp]
milis Posts: 7998
Have a look on line. There's a 'show us your dress' post in fashion and beauty. If there are any there you like, find out who the designer is and have a look at that website. If there are loads of dresses you like by one designer (or if there are 2 or 3 designers you like) find out who stocks them near you and make an appointment. Simple *)
[quote="Milis":1w9rito8]Have a look on line. There's a 'show us your dress' post in fashion and beauty. If there are any there you like, find out who the designer is and have a look at that website. If there are loads of dresses you like by one designer (or if there are 2 or 3 designers you like) find out who stocks them near you and make an appointment. Simple *)[/quote:1w9rito8] Thanks a million, had a look saw loads I liked!!!! And really cheap :thnk
Higgs particle Posts: 4557
Personally I wouldn't look up any dresses on line (I did and regret it), and it confuses you. Very few people can carry of every style and what looks great on a 6ft, sallow skinned model mightn't look so good on you. I wish I had waited and just gone straight into the shops - try on everything!. Then when you have tried a few styles and know what suits you best, you could look up the different dresses and find one you really like. Depending on which designer you go for (fall in love with) you could then investigate getting it on line HTH
Barbara Ann Posts: 1032
I have to agree to stay away from online onless you have tried on the dress here and you kow what suits you. I was all for a halterneck style dress and I was hell bent on buying online. My mother talked me into going to a bridal shop. So I went to TownBride in Powerscourt and what a surprise I got. They were able to tell me exactly what shapes and styles would suit me and allowed me to try them all on just for my own satisfaction. I decided to buy there because if I'd have bought online I would have to look for a dressmaker to alter the dress and then have the hassle of matching veils and tieras. I was able to do all in the one store, I even bought my jewellery there. I know you can save online but again you pay customs and a dressmaker I don't think you'll be saving a fortune. Best of lucking with the dress shopping. :wv
glowgal Posts: 949
Hey Lilliebride, yeah Im this september, its coming around quick! Some shops which I think are worth a look are: Anabel Rose - wicklow street. Alexanders - Parnell street near the cinema Kathy De Stafford - wicklow street Bridal Wraptures - stephens green Myrtle Ivory - Off grafton street Aspirations - Dame lane Lauda in Navan is worth a look too, they have a big selection there and are very reasonable. That should get you started, good luck with the search!!
Thanks girls for all the advice it was a great help. I took the plunge today and booked some appointments, Ive one for the bridal corner and one for Edel Todhunter and I might take a trip to the bridal out let too because you dont need an appointment!!!! Thanks again [quote="autumnbridetobe":31rd8tjm]Hey Lilliebride, yeah Im this september, its coming around quick! Some shops which I think are worth a look are: Anabel Rose - wicklow street. Alexanders - Parnell street near the cinema Kathy De Stafford - wicklow street Bridal Wraptures - stephens green Myrtle Ivory - Off grafton street Aspirations - Dame lane Lauda in Navan is worth a look too, they have a big selection there and are very reasonable. That should get you started, good luck with the search!![/quote:31rd8tjm]