help needed re:dress please

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

kittygirl Posts: 42
Hi, i really dont post a lot on this but when i have everyone has been so helpful so here i go again....... there is a wedding dress sale on in a place fairly close too me saturday and me and my mam are thinking about going, only problem is i have read some horror stories on the internet about bridal shops only stocking small sizes, and bigger girls being made to feel kinda lousy coming out. I am, i suppose what you would call plus size, about an 18 at the moment....i have lost weight over the last few months and still have a lot to go.is there any point in me going at the moment or should i wait until i have lost a bit more weight?i'm getting married next september and have heard dresses can take 6+months to come in so i'm getting anxious.thanks in advance for your advice,xxx
stupidname2013 Posts: 924
You could give them a call and enquire? If they're going to not be nice to you, it will start on the phone! Maybe just explain what you've said here and see what they say?
Hi, thanks for replying, really?could they be shitty on the phone?do you know generally if bridal dress sizes are way smaller than what you would normally be?
stupidname2013 Posts: 924
When I rang a shop to book an appointment (nothing specific, no +size or anything), I didn't get a good vibe from them...I went to the appointment and I didn't like them at all, should have trusted my first impression!! No harm to give them a call and see if any of their samples can work for you. I'm a UK 10/12 and my dress is a US10 - it's very tight, I'm a bit under pressure now!! So yeah I think they're a bit smaller...could be just me though!! :-8
i took your advice and rang there before 6, they were alright but basically told me that they might only have 1 or 2 dresses to suit me!!back to the drawing board....i'm sure there are loads of places but just havent done a lot of research yet. thanks again, and good luck with your wedding plans,x
streco80 Posts: 343
Hi There, sending you a pm now :)
smiley03 Posts: 184
Hi there..Im not sure where u live but there is a shop in galway city that do plus size wedding dresses for brides..They are called belladonna and as far as i can rem they only opened this part of their shop a few mths ago...worth a look on their website...They are a very popular spot for wedding and bridesmaid dresses and stock a huge selection of designers...they usually have a sale in jan so keep and eye out for that...I ordered my wedding dress in jan last yr and it came into the shop in may so give urself plenty of time...best of luck with ur shopping..its a very exciting time...
MrsGilhooley Posts: 1235
The shops canbe very mixed, some of them have a variety of sizes and some don't, the staff vary a lot aswell. The style of dress you want to try will also be important, ballgown styles are generally most re-sizeable ( with pinning, panels etc), mermaid styles and slinkier dresses are best avoided if you're a couple of sizes out as they prob won't physically fit and they won't look good if you do squeeze into them. I found plus size styles really unflattering, i think if you're at the 16-18 end of that plus range you're better off going with a regular dress You could post the name of the shop and people here will let you know how they got on there
thanks a million for all the advice girls, i really appreciate it and feel a lot more relaxed about the whole thing now. i've done a bit of research since and found about 4 places that cater for all shaped and sizes.i couldn't get over the amount of bridal shops that only supply much smaller sizes, i suppose they would be the equivalent of boutiques. anyway thank you again for taking the time to respond :thnk
MrsGilhooley Posts: 1235
[quote="kittygirl"].i couldn't get over the amount of bridal shops that only supply much smaller sizes, i suppose they would be the equivalent of boutiques. [quote] Just to say, the shops don't necessarily only supply smaller sizes, it's just that they mainly have samples in size 10 & 12 or maybe 14. Most of the dresses, even the exclusive designer dresses do come in a broader range of sizes. The shops have to buy the sample dresses so they tend to get one size and in the better shops they'll be well able to pin them so you can get a good idea of how they'll look and thf assistants can give you an idea of how the right size would fit eg neckline might sit higher, length might be different. When you see how heavily the shops discount the sample dresses you can see the commercial logic in only buying one of each style but I agree that it potentially limits customer numbers