Help re: Formula Feeding; does my baby have colic?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Lizzie02 Posts: 2624
My baby boy is 16 days old and has a meltdown at least once a day. I wanted to breastfeed or combine and tried from birth but between his latch not being good and me ending up with mastitis, I ditched the breastfeeding after 12 days with much regret. We are formula feeding him exclusively now and making up six 4oz bottles in the morning (Aptamil Formula) and putting them in the fridge. We are heating the bottles as we need them and all of a sudden he is doing the whole arching his back as if in pain at least once a day. He is continuing to have wet & poo nappies but seems to have trapped wind or something and it is stressing us out no end. My questions are: The odd time we have re-used a bottle that has been out and he might have only taken a handful of sucks from it and rather than throw it down the sink, we have been putting it back in the fridge and re-heating again and giving to him later on - is this wrong and could it have turned his stomach? Would he have colic or reflux and should we look at changing to the bottles (Dr. Browns) or the formula (Aptamil)? I feel so clueless and down about the whole thing. (Also posted in M&K Formula Feeding Support)
ScissorsGirl Posts: 785
Hi congrats on ur little boy I'm not too sure on the colic thing but I made my bottles just like u. Took one out of the fridge as needed and heated in the microwave but if the bottle was not drank I don't think U can put it back in the fridge to reheat and use again I'm sure that's a def no. You just have to discard. U can keep it out of the fridge for up to 2 hrs but not much longer Speak to ur PHN re his arching his back they will advise u on that
ReginaFalange Posts: 10290
Lizzie once you begin a feed you have to use it and ditch it once the baby has finished feeding. You can't put it back in the fridge and use it later. This is a big no-no. I know it's a pain especially when they only take a little but them's the breaks I'm afraid. Bacteria in milk grows so fast so once the bottle has been used it can't be re-used. Re the colic, a few tips: try not to shake the bottle too much, try a drop of Infacol before a feed and maybe try Dr Brown bottles?
Onyx Posts: 45
bobby2012 Posts: 644
Unfortunately, there is no solution to colic. It is just something the baby is going to have to grow out of (and by the way, it can happen with breastfed babies too). However, under no circumstances would I ever reuse a bottle, nor heat it up in a microwave or make bottles in advance. I've actually never heard of anyone doing it and whatever you decide to do from now on, my advice is stop immediately. Make your baby a fresh bottle every feed ands get rid of it as soon as the baby is finished, even if not all the bottle is gone. A formula bottle can stand to be used in room temp up to 1.5 hours to my knowledge, but that's it. A microwave, heating wise, is your worst enemy because it creates pockets of cold and hot liquid instead of even heating all around, so if you want to reheat a bottle, use a boiling pot of water. To me, for what it's worth, your baby does not sound colic. Colic is not only (although largely) associated with feeds. Colic babies get trapped wind even when they're not feeding. It seems more likely that your little one is unhappy with the feeds, which could either be the bottles, the way they're made, the timing of feeds, the position in which he's fed, the amount of light and/or sound in the room during feed... some babies are that fussy.
Loads of people pre make their bottles. I was told in the hospital I could make 2 at a time They changed the rules in the hospital for each of my sisters 3 babies If u have the time to b making bottles non stop day and night work away but most people I know make a couple at a time and I will n doing it again on this baby
frisp Posts: 174
Sent you a pm Lizzie.
[quote="ScissorsGirl":48fx9pd1] If u have the time to b making bottles non stop day and night work away but most people I know make a couple at a time and I will n doing it again on this baby[/quote:48fx9pd1] You're not exaggerating ever so slightly? It takes 1 minute to make a fresh bottle and you only do it about 6 times a day. Yes, I suppose I personally do have that to spare. And I actually don't know anybody who makes their bottles in advance, so it's clearly down to differernt social circles.
Yeah social circles. That'll be it
Look, do whatever on earth you want with your kids. The poster was asking for advice, I gave it to her, she doesn't have to follow it. If your only thrill is being nasty to other people for no aparent reason, please continue, if you have something constructive to say, say it. I've raised 2 children past babyhood and am now waiting for my third. My daughter who is now 6 months and is on solids and bottle was feeding aroundthe clock for the forst 2 months of her life and it would still never occur to me to say that I have no time to make bottles. I was on maternity leave - looking after my child is the purpose of my free time. Maybe that's just me.