Menu

HELP...what should i ask for in my contract of employment?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

RoseDawson Posts: 1494
Hi girls, I have recently learned that the place i work in is to be sold. I have worked here for many years for the same boss but have never received a written contract. It is a very small business so no HR department or anyone to ask for advice. I know about the basics but what about things like::: sick pay --- have only have 3/4 days off over all my years of work but my current employer has always paid me, should i ask for this to be put into my contract?? small yearly pay rise -- again the business is doing very well and my current employer gives me a small pay rise each year about 3%, this has been a spoken rule between us, again should i ask for this to go into my contract so my new boss will continue to do so??? My new employer is obliged to keep me on and honor my current contract so thats why I am anxious to get it all down in writing before any take over. Any advice welcome :wv PS please dont quote as i might delete
belcra Posts: 1097
Yes the sick pay and standard pay rise should def go in along with holiday allowance and any other benefits. things like notice periods etc also. Your hours and days of work should be included. Are you entitled to any other pay rise or bonus if the Company is doing well? Maybe get that in there if so.
elpi Posts: 748
Make sure your current salary is detailed. Overtime arrangements Location of employment Hours/days of work
strawberries1 Posts: 1245
Your annual leave needs to be included and any days that you might get as extra e.g Christmas holidays. It would also be helpful for your company to outline any additional benefits that they may currently provide- e.g maternity benefit, do they allow paid compassionate leave following the death of a family member etc
[quote="strawberries1":1e4d8yg8]Your annual leave needs to be included and any days that you might get as extra e.g Christmas holidays. It would also be helpful for your company to outline any additional benefits that they may currently provide- e.g maternity benefit, do they allow paid compassionate leave following the death of a family member etc[/quote:1e4d8yg8] For the last good few years our place has closed down for a week at Christmas, our employer has always been good enough to pay us, should i ask for this?? Even though I suppose he could technically tell us we are not entitled to that time off. I suppose I think my boss wont want to put of potential buyers by giving us all these extra perks in our contracts??
PaniniRoses Posts: 3628
[quote="RoseDawson":33f9p4lm]For the last good few years our place has closed down for a week at Christmas, our employer has always been good enough to pay us, should i ask for this?? Even though I suppose he could technically tell us we are not entitled to that time off. I suppose I think my boss wont want to put of potential buyers by giving us all these extra perks in our contracts??[/quote:33f9p4lm] I've no HR or legal training, so I'm open to correction, but my understanding is that if you're working for more than 12 months without a contract, the norm must be maintained in any contract that is subsequently agreed, ie the paid leave at Christmas is an entitlement that should be maintained.
Munster DJ Hire
[quote="PaniniRoses":3hmfdre0][/quote:3hmfdre0] I've no HR or legal training, so I'm open to correction, but my understanding is that if you're working for more than 12 months without a contract, the norm must be maintained in any contract that is subsequently agreed, ie the paid leave at Christmas is an entitlement that should be maintained.[/quote] Thanks this is exactly what i have been wondering.
strawberries1 Posts: 1245
Rose Dawson the most important thing is that you get everything in writing. I mean every single entitlement/ benifits you have. So yes that would include Christmas holidays that you have know sick leave etc.
Daisy Row Posts: 3650
[quote="PaniniRoses":1p5s7r6y]I've no HR or legal training, so I'm open to correction, but my understanding is that if you're working for more than 12 months without a contract, the norm must be maintained in any contract that is subsequently agreed, ie the paid leave at Christmas is an entitlement that should be maintained.[/quote:1p5s7r6y] This is correct, once something is in place for a reasonable amount of time it becomes custom and practice. If you are writing up a contract now you should just detail what you currently get in terms of pay, annual leave incl Christmas week), sick pay, notice period, pension, bonus, hours of work, overtime. Make sure to have your title confirmed and the reporting structure mentioned. You also might want to consider policies like maternity cover, does your company normally pay for ML if so that should be documented. You have already covere Christmas eve but what about Good Friday?
thanks for all advice girls. Boss presented me with contract friday. Nothing that should be in it is!!! And it a Temporary contract up for review in 6 months!!! I am a full time employee for the last 8 years, can he mark my contract temporary and for review in 6 months?? Sure that means anything can be changed then :( Told him i would look it over for the weekend and get back to him.ar