Hermesetas

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

YoMammaSo Posts: 3256
I drink about 8 cups of tea a day, ive switched to decaff, i take 3 hermesetas in my tea should i change back to regular sugar? Id be taking 3-4 spoons in a cuppa ? Ill be big as a house ! Im just over 5 wks
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
I don't think any artificial sweeteners are recommended during pregnancy. I was told not to drink diet coke etc, but the 'normal' version. Would you try reducing the amount of sugar you'd use a little everyday or use something like honey instead?
I must go back to normal sugar as i couldnt put honey in my tea yuk, unless do you remember there used to be sugar kind of like splenda but it was sugar from fruit ? can you still get that ? Its probably the same as having real sugar
FoundHome Posts: 1753
I wouldn't use Hermesetas, if you can help it, as it contains Saccharin which is not recommended in pregnancy. However you can use Splenda as this contains sucralose which has been deemed safe for everyone to consume, including pregnant women by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The FDA do recommend you limit your Aspartame intake to a moderate level while pregnant as it may not be metabolised well during pregnancy. Aspartame is usually found in diet soft drinks etc. TBH I wouldn't recommend switching over to full sugar with the added risk of gestational diabetes. While honey has certain beneficial antioxidant and antimicrobial properties which are not present in sugar, there are more calories per teaspoon of honey than a teaspoon of sugar :eek Best of luck hun and congrats on the babs :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll
BusyDee Posts: 8527
Yeah you can still get splenda its the only artificial sugar that doenst have aspartame in it. I had diabetes when I was pregnant so couldnt have any sugar but they recommened this (in small amounts obviously) I actually find it sweeter than sugar so I use less! Its very expensive though compared to other ones but keep an eye out for special offers I find supervalu, dunnes and tesco seem to have it on offer at different times every few weeks so I usually stock up. Congrats on your preganancy btw :o)ll
i wonder, what about tesco's own brand ? Ill buy splenda so, i seriously drink about 8 cups of tea a day so i dont want to be having what 24 spoons of sugar (shudders) ! Thanks girls
This one wouldn't recommended as it contains cyclamates (which has been banned in the US for potential links to cancer) [url:1jea1fvu]http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=260927312[/url:1jea1fvu] These two contain aspartame so limit your intake of these [url:1jea1fvu]http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=259029184[/url:1jea1fvu] [url:1jea1fvu]http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=256222898[/url:1jea1fvu] I think Canderel also contains aspartame
thanks found home- those links wont work if you dont have a tesco account! Ill just get splenda altogether Just looked this up so its prob safest option. [i:aeq4q1uk]Whilst a healthy lifestyle is recommended for everyone, it is especially important for people with diabetes. SPLENDA® is suitable for people with such a condition, as it contains only a fraction of the calories and carbohydrates of sugar. Sucralose, the sweetening ingredient in SPLENDA®, is not recognised by the body or broken down for energy, so it has no effect on insulin or blood glucose levels.[/i:aeq4q1uk]
Sorry about that. The value Tesco sweetener tabs is the one to be avoided. The 'normal' Tesco brands contain aspartame :wv