Highlights During Pregnancy

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

coolbride Posts: 63
I have heard conflicting reports regarding been able to get highlights in your hair during pregnancy. Badly in need of a "lightening", so if there is anyone there from the industry who knows the real story, can you let me know if it's safe or not! I'm guessing it's fine, but just to be sure. Many tks.
Miss Sunshine Posts: 1128
As far as i know its fine its just the colour may not take in your hair very well. Also i think tell the hairdresser that you're preggers if your not already showing and she may leave a couple of mm's from the scalp.
Its a Secret Posts: 178
I am not from the industry BUT asked this exact question over on MM. My friend is a hairdresser and said I was mad- her hairdresser has NO policy on avoiding any products on preggers women! On MM I was told the only "risk" and I put it in inverted commas is if the dye (chemical) enters your bloodstream. Nothing has ever been proven. It was more risky years agao when much stronger chemicals were used. I use meche so am ok. HOWEVER I did hear that the hormones can make your hair go a funny colour so I waited for 14 weeks before getting them done. HTH
charmed Posts: 105
Was 8 weeks last week and I got highlights put in ask the Dr before hand she said no problem but may not take as well. But they took fine.
Port Princess Posts: 1154
I got highlights when I was preg!! Think it's only a full colour you can't get because it'll get rubbed into your scalp!
mrs sarah c Posts: 522
I got highlights too when pregnant I think you can get over the top about what to avoid when pregnant.
MUMS THE WORD Posts: 733
Hi girls.. I'm sure it may be just conincidental (sp?) but the day before I had my m/c I'd had my hair cut and coloured... To be honest if i did get pg again..i would give it more thought before rushing to hair salon just in case there was any connection
coolbride Posts: 63
Mums the Word - sorry about your misfortune. Do you mind me asking if you were under the 12wk period? I am 17wks so feel a little better about trying it.
MUMS THE WORD Posts: 733
So sorry coolbride.. only noticed this now... Yes i was only 6 weeks when i'd got my hair cut and coloured.. I did tell the hairdresser but she didn't see any problems... It was possibly coincidental that it was the day before my m/c but just thought i'd share my experiences with you. HTH xox