Holiday Pay when on Maternity Leave

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

maybbaby Posts: 24
I work for a private company and will only be entitled to the basic government pay when off for my 6 months. However what is my holiday pay emtitlement. I currently get 20 days paid, (will I get all them when I go back in July) or will I be only entitled to the 1.5 days from July to December. (In effect 9 days for that year). I hope I am making sense. Anyway any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks
Jeidi Posts: 3128
As far as I know you still acrue days when on maternity leave. I asked that question not so long ago. I hope others will reply with the same answer!!
maybbaby Posts: 24
Thanks Jeidi for the quick response, I am hoping this is the case. Thanks again
jarashow Posts: 3083
In my place you accrue. However, I can only carry 5 days over to next, for each company it is different, so it might be an idea to check with your HR or Manager.
rushinbride Posts: 1097
Yep - you are entitled to have those 20days when you return so if you were to return to work next August 2009 your still entitled to 20days holiday leave plus you'll either have been paid for your public holidays or you can add them to your annual leave as well (depending on what the company want you to do with that really) But this is from the Citizen info website... Public holidays and annual leave You are entitled to leave for any public holidays that occur during your maternity leave (including additional maternity leave). The right of employees to leave for public holidays is set down in Section 21 of the Organisation of Working Time Act 1997. Time spent on maternity leave (including additional maternity leave) is treated as though you have been in employment, and this time can be used to accumulate annual leave and public holiday entitlement
poppy1 Posts: 596
hey you get paid for holidays at the end of maternity leave inc bank holidays so this is how it works Example 6 months maternity leave 4 wks holidays 5 bank holidays 4 months unpaid leave
jarashow Posts: 3083
Just want to point out that it really does depend on where you work. For me I have to take paid mat leave, then unpaid leave before I can take any holidays owed. So check it out with your employer.
jellybaby Posts: 2316
You are definitely entitled to still get your full holiday allowance.....however, depending on when your mat leave starts and ends, your employer can decide when you have to take those days. For example, I started mat leave on July 7th. I will be due back to work after paid leave in mid-Jan 2009. We work our holidays in hours instead of days, but just for ease of explanation, say I had 24 days hols to take in 2008....For most people, this would mean 12 days up to the end of June and 12 days from July - December. As I won't be there from July-Dec, some companies would let you carry the 12 days for that period over to2009 - i.e. add them to the end of your mat leave. But my company's policy is that you cannot carry holidays over into the next year, so I had to take my full 24 days for 2008 before I started mat leave in early July, which meant that I had two weeks holidays before my mat leave, rather than at the end (if that makes sense). As I said, this is at the company's discretion, so you may find your employer imposes something like this on when you take the additional hols. I agree with jarashow also, in how it works: paid leave, unpaid leave, then any hols, etc. If a company is letting you takepaid leave, followed by paid holidays and only then letting you take the unpaid leave, legally they are doing it wrong - your unpaid mat leave [b:1w6fxtby]must[/b:1w6fxtby] follow your paid mat leave - it's all mat leave, and therefore must run consecutively. HTH
Toblerone Posts: 2698
[quote="jellybaby":354yn0rb] I agree with jarashow also, in how it works: paid leave, unpaid leave, then any hols, etc. If a company is letting you takepaid leave, followed by paid holidays and only then letting you take the unpaid leave, legally they are doing it wrong - your unpaid mat leave [b:354yn0rb]must[/b:354yn0rb] follow your paid mat leave - it's all mat leave, and therefore must run consecutively. HTH[/quote:354yn0rb] The method in how companies work out the sequence is completely dependent on them. My previous employer did it the way you mention above but my present employer does it the other way - paid leave, bank hols, hols, unpaid leave as it is easier for them to just continue paying you for bank hols and hols and then stop for the unpaid. Also they have found that some people come back to work earlier with this method!
jellybaby Posts: 2316
Oh I know loads of them do it different ways.....I was just saying that they're [i:2fs85jx2]supposed[/i:2fs85jx2] to do it with unpaid mat leave following paid mat leave :o0