Holidays - opinions please!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

MammySpice Posts: 2501
Hi girls, Looking for some advice from some of you more experienced mums-2-be and mums! DH and I got €1000 trailfinders vouchers as a wedding present from a group of friends last year. We can only afford a holiday if we use these vouchers. We are thinking about a week in Abu Dhabi in July when I will be 18 weeks pg and we will be celebrating our first anniversary. Average Temp between 30 - 41 degrees. Don't plan on doing anything but sitting by the pool or relaxing in air conditioned room. Would I be able to handle the heat or would I just have a miserable time?? All your opinions and comments would be greatly appreciated!! :wv [/quote]
Toblerone Posts: 2698
Hey Sugar and Spice, I would say it depends on how you are about travelling and heat normally but I'd go for it esp if your plan is just for r and r. I love the sun and am heading to Egypt when I'll be 19wks. I'll still take the normal precautions plus will be extra careful about where I eat and drink! Extra spf in the suncream too as you are more susceptable to sunburn etc when pg. I'm going to be taking up residence under an umbrella with plenty of liquids. It seems from the reading I've done that the best time to travel is between 18-26 wks so yu should be grand. Sounds like a great present and hol esp with your 1st anniversary :wv
NewMom1 Posts: 1252
i would have been fine with a trip like that at 18 weeks- id say it would have hit me if i was say 25 weeks though. If you are a good person in the heat i think you will be ok and you will have plenty of energy for shopping at that stage too, good luck with it and enjoy the time while you can
fantac Posts: 4109
hi there have you been to the middle east before? just that july is really pretty unbearablably hot, you really wouldnt be lying out in the sun for longer than about 3 minutes, al the pools have to be cooled as they get so hot. it's 40+ in the shade and often well over 50deg in the sun. tbh i dont think i'd go even if not pregnant, but it could be very uncomfotable pregnant. how about the USA? Or Canada?
fantac Posts: 4109
hi there have you been to the middle east before? just that july is really pretty unbearablably hot, you really wouldnt be lying out in the sun for longer than about 3 minutes, al the pools have to be cooled as they get so hot. it's 40+ in the shade and often well over 50deg in the sun. tbh i dont think i'd go even if not pregnant, but it could be very uncomfotable pregnant. how about the USA? Or Canada?
sunsparks Posts: 2196
Gotta say I was in Thailand at 18 weeks, when it was 'only' about 31 degrees and I was uncomfortably hot. Enjoyed it still but had DH moving the parasol around constantly so I was in the shade and found it really hard to get energy in the evenings. I've heard the Middle East has a very intense heat - more so even than Thailand. I wouldn't say no, just be prepared for it, that's all.
archangel Posts: 113
Hi There, I was in India las year just before they had monson which is the hottest time to be there, it was well 40 degrees and even so at night, i believe the middle east is similar when it comes to extreme heat, i couldn't bear stepping outside to be honest during the day at all and i wasnt even pregnant. Could there be somewhere not as hot that you could visit? You dont want to have to spend the whole of your trip inside i'm sure. Its up to you though!
archangel Posts: 113
Hi There, I was in India las year just before they had monson which is the hottest time to be there, it was well 40 degrees and even so at night, i believe the middle east is similar when it comes to extreme heat, i couldn't bear stepping outside to be honest during the day at all and i wasnt even pregnant. Could there be somewhere not as hot that you could visit? You dont want to have to spend the whole of your trip inside i'm sure. Its up to you though!