Holles St & Coombe- How to Choose (Semi Private)

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Secret2013 Posts: 227
Hi Everyone, I've just had my G.P. visit and pregnancy has been confirmed :o)ll We are super excited. The next step now is picking which Hospital to go to. I'm the first of my family and friends to go through this so I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm thinking of going semi-private in either Holles St or the Coombe. I would love to hear some feedback from anybody with their experiences in either and info on pricing. Also, is a 12 week scan standard practice or do you have to request it? Thank you so much
beatingmyselfintoadress Posts: 2387
Hi, I gave birth in both and by far I had a much better experience in the Coombe. You're probably going to have a big variety of responses on this as it is so often based on personal preferences, but for me it's the Coombe. Congrats!
bobby2012 Posts: 644
I was public on both my previous pregnancies and am public on this one, all in the Coombe, so can't give you feedback about pricing or Holles st. But I found Coombe to be brilliant and I don't have a single complaint, especially in my last pregnancy when they went above and beyond for me and I'd say I got the equivalent of a private treatment minus the bed in the end. Would definitely recommend them.
gopro Posts: 1801
Another Coombe mum here. I was public and cant fault them. one thing that made me pick Coombe was there overdue policy(10days) V Holles St (14days) also the visiting policy when I was picking this time last year meant my parents could visit in the evening. also the coombe public wards have 6 beds but Holles street was more.
Thanks a million ladies really appreciate the tips :thnk . Just one more thing in relation to scans did you get ta 12 week scan in the Coombe?
bobby2012 Posts: 644
Sorry I forgot to reply to that part. The 12 week scan is actually the 'dating scan'. It can occur at any given time normally between week 10 and 14 of pregnancy, depends on when yourfirst appointment scheduled for. You ALWAYS get it on your first visit, no exceptions.
beatingmyselfintoadress Posts: 2387
I got the dating scan at 12 weeks in the Coombe and also at my first visit (went public) but in HS (semi private) I didn't get any scan until the big 20 week (ish) scan. I just went privately for an early scan so.
MrsAC Posts: 1190
I'm Sp in the coombe not sure about fees as i'm fully covered under medical insurance but you get your 12 wk scan and 20/22 wk scan dwn in the scanning dept and at every other app you get scanned with the consultant. I have to say i find my consultant brilliant and on the times i dnt meet her the regs are just as brilliant
gopro Posts: 1801
my dating scan was at 10'wks. was mini scanned on each visit big scan at 21 weeks and growth scan at 32 wks
Thanks a million girls that puts my mind at ease and gives me lots to think about. The Coombe location wise is a little closer and my instincts tell me it's the place to go but I don't want to rule anything out without having the facts. :thnk