Holles St or Coombe (semi private), need your advice please.

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Inlove10 Posts: 806
Hello ladies! I'm still trying to decide which maternity hospital (goin semi private) and have narrowed down to Holles Street and Coombe. Sorry for the long post BTW Coombe would be handier location wise, however having done some research I'm come up with ; [b:1fo80qvt]Reasons to pick Holles street[/b:1fo80qvt] - A Doctor recommended holles street for particularly for first baby - Semi private in the Coombe : E 600 & E100 per scan - Semi private in Holles street: E260 & E110 per scan - Policies state coombe will only give you epidural during 1st phase of labour, but holles street will give anytime (seems strange) - Holles st Assist with preparation of birth plan (do the coombe?) - 1:1 ratio midwives to women whereas coombe is 2:1 (Holles st have 349 midwives and 113 beds, coombe is only 248 to 213 beds) - Greater continuity of care in Holles Street - Appointment waiting time is 20-30 mins, versus up to 2 hours in coombe [b:1fo80qvt]Reasons to pick coombe[/b:1fo80qvt] - Location is better - Holles Street don't scan you each visit (mini scanner), not sure if coombe do? - Very hard to get 1st visit before 16 weeks in holles st I know there are more reasons for holles st but location is the reason why I'm still undecided. I'm also finding it hard to believe that the coombe would be stricter in terms of giving the epidural in the later stages of labour, I need pain relief!!! [b:1fo80qvt]I'd really appreciate some help in coming to a decision[/b:1fo80qvt] Txs
sunnygirl Posts: 1876
Personally I would go with location. All the hospitals are the same, I've had a friend who had her baby in the Coombe semi-p, and had nothing but good things to say about it. Where did you get all those stats for Holles St ? I thought they were the busiest, hence you wouldn't have as much atttention. They also do the labour management thingy - they speed up your labour if you haven't gone so far after a certain amount of time - defo something to consider
I got it here, I went through the policies and practices document (took ages) http://www.cuidiu-ict.ie/fulcrum.html?ep=53 That labour management thingy sounds interesting??
sunnygirl Posts: 1876
[quote="Inlove10":1cvfkh8k] That labour management thingy sounds interesting??[/quote:1cvfkh8k] check out this thread about the active labour management http://www.weddingsonline.ie/discussion ... management
jen09 Posts: 1390
My friend went semi-pri in Holles St & would have to wait 2-3hrs for clinic on visits & would almost never get a seat either!
Still so confused, this is head wrecking! Okay maybe you might be able to help me with a few suggestions of who the good consultants are, I have the following names so far? [u:1mfxzdu5]Holles St[/u:1mfxzdu5] Dr Carroll Dr Keane [u:1mfxzdu5]Coombe[/u:1mfxzdu5] Sharon Sheils Also do the coombe do mini scans at visits? Apprantely some Holles st consultants have mini scanners in their rooms but some don't. Has anyone gone semi p and been bumped up to a private room? I see Coombe have 30 pte rooms but holles st only have 11 (not sure if this excludes merrion wing) I think you're right Jen09, holles street claim to have 20-30 minute waiting times, but in reality this might be different.
aylala Posts: 3673
i decided on holles st on advice from senior phn in work who also made me ring today to get appt and i got one for 22nd june! I thought my early stages were to soon to book but it seems not. I was told il get a mini scan and big scan in july hth make your decision
[quote="Aylala":47gwfhsq]i decided on holles st on advice from senior phn in work who also made me ring today to get appt and i got one for 22nd june! I thought my early stages were to soon to book but it seems not. I was told il get a mini scan and big scan in july hth make your decision[/quote:47gwfhsq] Forgive my ignorance is PHN private health nurse? did they say why? Are you going Semi p? Any recommendations on a consultant? 22nd June seems very far away that would mean I'd be 22 weeks if that's the earliest! txs :thnk
aylala Posts: 3673
sorry it means public health nurse or baby nurse. She recommended a guy david something (left paperwork in work ) but holles st said he doesnt do semi p anymore so she recommende dr rhona mahony again this could be wrong as im v forgetful but will correct tmw if needs be. Il be around 16 weeks then i expected to get a visit at 12 wks didnt realise this is all new to us its a mine field alright. Oh and i am going semi p have to pay 500 on first visit
Cool thanks €500 jees my friend only paid €250 2 years ago!