Holles street parking!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

ellise Posts: 26
Was just getting some bits ready for my hospital bag today and it got me thinking, where the hell are we going to park on the day?! :ooh Are the only spaces around Merrion square that cost a fortune per hour and does that mean he would have to keep running out to top up meter or is there some where a wee bit easier. It really is a bit of an inconvenience isn't it?? Also on a completely different topic ( :o0 )! Does anyone know where I would get some really cheap towels and nightdresses that would be only be used for when I'm in the hospital? Thanks in advance ladies! :thnk
lilytiger Posts: 536
not sure about the parking to be honest as I didn't attend HS but I bought my night dresses in Dunnes and then got my towels in TK maxx. You could try penneys either.
punkybrewster Posts: 290
Hi there The only real parking very close to Holles Street is on Holles St itself, or on Merrion Square. There is also parking on Pearse Street around the corner. It is very expensive alright, but we got a parking tag which allows you to top up your car from a mobile phone. If you check out http://www.parkingtag.ie you'll get all the details. I had my first baby on Easter Sunday and the following day was a bank holiday so we were lucky from that point of view that parking was free for a good proportion of my stay. Won't be so lucky this time! I got all my nighties and PJs in Pennys, got about 3 nighties and 3 pairs of pyjamas, I loved having fresh new nightwear to get into every day last time, so have done the same this time. The stuff is so cheap that you can pretty much throw it out when you're home.
boodlesdoodles Posts: 900
I saw this post on Boards a few weeks ago, might be helpful. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost ... tcount=646
OAT Posts: 2207
My husbands Dad works around the corner from the hospital so if I go into labour during working hrs we can park there, then won't have to worry about the car. Otherwise we'll just have to park where we can and pay the cost. I got my towels, pj's and underwear in pennys - cheap as chips :o)ll :o)ll
babyblaBBer Posts: 2448
yeah, one of the things on your list should be a bag of change for the parking meter!!! i was induced in the end and DH dropped me in, got me settled and then dropped the car home so we wouldn't have to think about it. if you live far away, maybe get him to get you settles and then move the car in a car park in town (if there's time).
punkybrewster Posts: 290
Babyblabber, you should consider the parking tag for this pregnancy- so handy, you don't need change you just get the tag in the post and stick it on window then you text a number to say what zone you're in and whatever number of minutes, it texts you to remind you when your time is going to run out and you can just text again and top it up. The wardens can scan the tag. Its so handy, we used it for all our antenatal appointments as well.
babyblaBBer Posts: 2448
[quote="punkybrewster":1jg96btb]Babyblabber, you should consider the parking tag for this pregnancy- so handy, you don't need change you just get the tag in the post and stick it on window then you text a number to say what zone you're in and whatever number of minutes, it texts you to remind you when your time is going to run out and you can just text again and top it up. The wardens can scan the tag. Its so handy, we used it for all our antenatal appointments as well.[/quote:1jg96btb] good idea. already have an eflow tag for tolls and Qpark tag for carpark near work, may as well add to the collection!
strangeangel Posts: 1269
We got my Mom to drop us in to avoid worrying about parking. I hadn't wanted DH to call her but it worked out for the best - we hadn't organised a parking tag and the meter would have been running out around the time DD was born :) Since you don't know how long you'll be in for, might be worth getting a lift if you can?
Winter B2B Posts: 3494
Until lately I worked close to Holles st. There is about 10/15 free parking space on Fenian st (drive down Holles st,turn right onto Fenian st, the spaces on right hand side are free) If you continue up Fenian st towards Grand Canal st there's a car park, you pay a daily charge (think its €5 or €6).