Home brew as wedding favour, opinions please!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

yippeeme Posts: 2139
Hi all, looking for opinions on a bottle of home brew beer or cider as a wedding favour. We originally weren't going to do favours at all, but as OH has a big interest in home brewing and has brewed twice successfully already he thought it might be a nice idea for the wedding. It would probably have to be a bottle per guest wth a choice of beer or cider. Bottles would be capped and have a customised label, probably our names and date of the wedding or something. What do ye think? Think it could be an idea to have the bottles on a table for the drinks reception rather than on tables for the meal? All opinions greatly appreciated! :wv
Bellisima Posts: 3583
I think it sounds like a really novel idea. It wouldnt appeal to me as in I wouldnt drink it but Id appreciate the effort he went to. BUT is it worth the effort? I know nothing about home brewing but is this something thats going to take hours upon hours upon hours. If its a major time commitment that would worry me. Also before he makes a decision you should really run it by the hotel - make sure theyre not going to try do something stupid like charge ye corkage!
PussyGalore Posts: 3388
Brilliant idea, I LOVE it! But I agree, be wary of corkage!! O-O
happyfamily Posts: 3323
Not sure if a hotel will let you bring that in for health and safety reasons.
lux Posts: 6270
I think its a lovely idea but I don't think people would appreciate it unless they are into home brews. I don't drink beer at all and himself only drinks Heiniken so both of us would be passing it on to others. It sounds like a LOT of work (depending on numbers) and TBH I think people don't pay much attention to wedding favours. The venue might not allow it also as it could affect bar sales so they might charge you.
Ha never even thought that they might charge corkage! :duh: I wonder would they? In terms of effort it's not major, he has most of the bottles already from previous brews so it's really just a matter of mixing up the beer, leaving it sit for a few weeks then bottling it. He enjoys doing it and is really into the idea so he wouldn't mind the effort, it's kinda his input into the wedding! :-8
[quote="kerrywedding2011":eb5oq2ft]Not sure if a hotel will let you bring that in for health and safety reasons.[/quote:eb5oq2ft] God never thought of this either! :eek Can just see it now, hotel guests struck down with alcohol poisoning! :eek Ah no i've tasted it, totally drinkable, quite nice, he drinks Heineken himself so generally does a larger not actually beer i think but i just call it that. Would defo have to clear it with the hotel first alrite. I kinda think it might appeal more to male guests than female though! Thanks for the replies! :thnk
Scruff1 Posts: 3139
I think it's a nice unique idea! However as other posters have said some people might not appreciate it! Personally I wouldn't know a good home brew from a bad one!
mrsh11 Posts: 113
Hi 2julybride, My OH also brews his own beer and we were thinking of doing the same thing. I mentioned it to our venue and they loved the idea but said they would charge corkage so we decided not to do it as we're trying to keep costs down. I don't think health & safety will be a problem as long as it's clear that it's not originating from the venue but I think most places will charge corkage. That said, I would say to go for it if you're happy to pay the corkage - while there is some effort involved in making a batch, it's not enough to rule out the idea and if your OH enjoys it, then even better!! I think it would make a really personal, unique favour. While some people don't drink beer (myself included), I'm sure they'd appreciate it and the beer-drinkers would be happy with any extra bottles! :wv
Cinnabon Posts: 2626
Is there any chance you could put it into miniature bottles - I know there wouldn't be much for the guests but it may be a way to avoid corkage. I know someone who did this with a whiskey.