honey ok to take?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

lifestooshort Posts: 2312
Hey I have a snotty nose chesty couch and a bit of a headache. I know i can't take anything to help me but I really would love to mix honey and lemon with hot water to ease my cough throat. Does anyone know if this is ok? Its keeping me awake at night and I'm so tired already but once baby is ok I'll be grand
silíní Posts: 4219
I don't see why taking honey, or lemons, would be any problem.... As long as they are real honey and lemons and not lemsip or whatever...
bellabella Posts: 2750
Have some honey and warm milk and loads of tlc.get well soon. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
PinkyD Posts: 276
yea believe honey is fine, i eat jars of it religiously anyway so still used on my cereals, in tea etc throughout - not to be givin direct to a baby mind u. PS, if its on ur chest, u shud try boil acutal lemons with water & brown sugar, drain off n drink - will clear it if on your chest. Plus honey in tea helps soothe throat and off spoon also if u can handle it. x
McMummy Posts: 1041
Took this off a health web site.. Is it okay to eat foods containing honey while pregnant? Will these foods harm the fetus? Many parents know that it is not safe to give honey to a baby younger than one year of age. The reason that this is advised is because honey can contain the botulinum spore that in the proper environment may cause the deadly food poisoning botulism. Acid will inhibit the spore from growing and producing the botulism toxin. A baby's immature digestive system is not yet acidic enough to inhibit the toxin from being produced, whereas the digestive system of an older baby and adults is. In other words, the baby's digestive tract provides a nice warm, air-free, low-acid environment where botulinum spores just love to grow. When it grows it will produce the toxin. The toxin produced by the spore is the danger. A pregnant mom can safely eat honey. Her digestive tract is acidic, and will prevent a botulinum spore from growing -- no toxin will be produced. There is no danger to the fetus from the mom-to-be eating honey or honey-containing foods. Hope that helps WW
lifestooshort Posts: 2312
Thanks girls! my sisters both said no way as its not recommended to children under 1. Sure I went to chemist to get fishermens friends and i really only joking asked could i take these while pregnant and girl said no not recommended to children under 5 so take your chances.
under construction Posts: 3458
For colds etc try Manuka honey (think that's the correct name for it), you can get it in most health stores and its meant to be amazing. That in boiling water with a slice of lemon will do the trick.