hong kong anyone been??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

happywife Posts: 1575
right so me & hubby were saying we must book a summer holiday only taking a week so I was thinking spain, france or italy - hubby just emailed me this offer on Hong Kong to be honest its never appealed to me as a hol destination always have thought of it as a smoggy kind of place - anyone any feedback - hotel look really nice and so does the price
monkeysgirl Posts: 79
Hong Kong is lovely stopped there on the way to Oz for a week, is crowded but loads to do didn't find it overly smoggy we went up victoria peak and got a pretty clear view. Definitely would go back
Paddy Whack Posts: 1399
We went to Hong Kong as part of our honeymoon. I thought it was fog at first but yes it is quite smoggy and very humid. Don’t let it put you off though. We ate in some amazing restaurants with top service and our hotel was luxurious with a fantastic view over the harbour esp at night when all the buildings were lit up. They really know how to look after you service wise. The junk boats that sail across from one side to of the harbour to the other are eerily beautiful at night There have loads of markets lining the streets as well. Definitely worth a visit.
happywife Posts: 1575
what time of year did ye go what are the temps like I'm wondering offer is valid until sept so have pretty much any month in the summer to choose from ! what hotels did you stay in Paddywhack sounds lovely with the harbour views - its for 5 days only is the only thing what would yu recommend to see or do??
glowgal Posts: 949
Hong Kong is fab, great city. I was there september time a few years ago and it was fairly humid, was only there for 2 days though on the way to Oz and that was enough time for us. The one thing I remember doing which I would recommend is doing the Peak tram, amazing views when you get to the top. We stayed in Kowloon which in my opinion is the better place to stay, you have the view of hong kong island at night which is great and the atmosphere is more authentic, hong kong island feels more like a business district if you know what i mean. Hope this helps.
Milly83 Posts: 3620
I am going to Hong Kong for a night as part of our honeymoon. we are staying in the Langham Place Hotel in Mangkok. Can't wait. Edited because I read your post wrong!
Hamptons Wife Posts: 466
I would definitely recommend Hong Kong, i have been twice. The first time for only 3 days but 2nd time we went for 10 days and there is still lots more to see. We went in Sept the first time and Oct the 2nd and very humid both times. Even when it rains its so hot but lovely. I would second staying in Kowloon and head down to the avenue of stars for the 8pm lights show. This is amazing all the building on both the island and Kowloon do a lights show but its best to stay on Kowloon side looking onto Hong Kong island. They even have Disneyland there, now not as big or as good as Paris or the states but good if you have never been. I will go back again maybe in a few years. Its so easy to get around on the public transport we took the underground all the time and got an Octopus card( would recommend getting this makes life very easy). If your getting a good deal go for it. Sorry for the long post.
Peaseblossom Posts: 6642
was there in 94 fantastic pity i couldnt stay longer
Paddy Whack Posts: 1399
[quote="Paddy Whack":2a634mzc]We went to Hong Kong as part of our honeymoon. I thought it was fog at first but yes it is quite smoggy and very humid. Don’t let it put you off though. We ate in some amazing restaurants with top service and our hotel was luxurious with a fantastic view over the harbour esp at night when all the buildings were lit up. They really know how to look after you service wise. The junk boats that sail across from one side to of the harbour to the other are eerily beautiful at night There have loads of markets lining the streets as well. Definitely worth a visit.[/quote:2a634mzc] Hi we stayed in the Marco Polo hotel on the Kowloon side http://hongkonghotel.marcopolohotels.com/ it was beginning of June when we were there