Menu

Hoopla :-)

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Bridester Posts: 920
Hi All, Is it normal to wear a hoop with your dress? I'm not talking about close fitting column style dresses of course, but I was in a bridal shop at the weekend and was told that this is the norm for most of the dresses that flare out at the end. I had never heard of this before and it was not mentioned in any of the other bridal shops I have looked in so just looking to get your opinions - is this the Norm? Thanks. :thnk
juno28 Posts: 330
Im not sure what the norm would be but I know that when i was buying my dress I was advised to get a hoop for under it. It is a mermaid style dress so the girl in the shop said that rather than having to get the bridesmaids to pouff it out everytime i move, if ya know what i mean, that i could get a small hoop and it wouldnt need adjusting... Definitely gonna get one! It'll prob make it much easier to walk in the dress too, id say that would go for any style dress!
Yeah I know what you mean about it needing adjusting - even just walking around the shop you could almost trip yourself up.
MrsBC2b Posts: 205
Make sure that you bring assistance when going to the bathroom on the day in a hoop ladies I was at one wedding where I had to assist in removing the bride from a cubicle during the night. :ooh You could always use the ensuite in the bridal suite instead where you will have a bit of space of course O-O
juno28 Posts: 330
[quote="MrsBC2b":1tgdi0u0]Make sure that you bring assistance when going to the bathroom on the day in a hoop ladies I was at one wedding where I had to assist in removing the bride from a cubicle during the night. :ooh You could always use the ensuite in the bridal suite instead where you will have a bit of space of course O-O[/quote:1tgdi0u0] Oh god the shame of looking all elegant on your wedding day and then getting stuck in the toilet :-8 Good thinking bout the en suite, Thanks for the tip!!
ciaraella Posts: 5323
My dress was an A line style and i didn't have a hoop, it wasn't mentioned at all so not sure if it's to do with the shape of the dress
LittleLily Posts: 3682
Yep another person here with and a-line dress and no hoop.
Chillaxed Posts: 583
i didnt think my dress needed a hoop but my mother said it looked better with it. am still not sure as the hoop makes it very big and harder to walk in. will see at first proper fitting in a few weeks!
[quote="ciaraella":1fm311pn]My dress was an A line style and i didn't have a hoop, it wasn't mentioned at all so not sure if it's to do with the shape of the dress[/quote:1fm311pn] See that's the thing - I was in several shops trying on plenty of A-line and bigger dresses before going to the "hoop" shop and it was never mentioned to me in any of these other shops as a requirement or even as a nice to have. It's obviously not a neccessity anyway.
ciaraella Posts: 5323
Bridester i wonder if they just wanted to sell you one! It makes a difference having your dress altered too, i'm quite short so every dress i tried on felt huge and as if i'd kill myself trying to walk in it, when my actualy dress came in and was altered it was much easier to move about in. Also for the later part of the day you can hook up any kind of train or long skirt on the dress so you dance the night away! I wouldn't worry about getting a hoop, once you've chosen your dress you can see how you feel about walking in it