Hopefully not too controversial

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

pigeonwife Posts: 3789
I am almost afraid to post this but my curiosity has got the best of me and I really hope I won't be vilified for asking about what seems to be a no go area. Ok, deep breath, here goes. Is everyone taking the total abstinence line throughout pregnancy when it comes to the demon drink. I ask because whenever I've seen drink mentioned on this forum it has been all about complete abstinence. I'm sure the rest of you have seen pregnant women having a drink before so I'm just wondering are there any on this forum who would have any alcohol during pregnancy and if so how much? Interested in your comments girls. Thanks :wv
gemini chica Posts: 2581
Hi Pigeonwife, from previous posts I think the majority of people are having a few drinks, I personally amn't but I have no judgement at all on anyone having a few!
theoracle Posts: 7664
I am a very occassional drinker even when not pg - rarely drink on a night out, but if I ever felt like a glass of wine now, I would have it. EG when we went to my favorite italian for a celebratory meal, there was no way I wasn't having a glass of red with my pasta - it's the way it was meant to be! :o0
milis Posts: 7998
I said beforehand that I would have a glass of wine if i really wanted it. I haven't wanted it that badly though. To be honest, the guilt would get to me, and if anything was wrong with babs any time before their 18 birthday I'd be wondering if I had caused it. For me, it's not worth it.
sunnygirl Posts: 1876
i abstained completely until week 20. then i was bridesmaid at my friend's wedding so i had a spritzer, and then last time i was out for a meal with friends i had one glass. that's it. i'm not a drinker at home anyway so it's no problem for me! don't really miss it that much!
sunsparks Posts: 2196
In the past few weeks, I've had about 1 glass a week. I don't think it's a problem at this stage and I've really enjoyed that glass.
Daff Posts: 11644
I love a good old drink, and thought I'd miss it terribly. But now I'm pregnant I barely give it a second thought - the little bean is way more important. It also says in all my books that alcohol should be totally avoided until the third trimester - and at that stage I just don't think i could drink knowing the baby would feel the effects. I've gone totally of caffine too, but have been weaning that out a good while as i used to be totally addicted to it! Did anyone see that ITV programme on Fetal Alcohol Syndrome last year? It was the one that Trevor Mc Donald hosts, and then the investigator does a slot on a topic. It's research and doctors were saying that just one drink could cause this syndrome, and it totally freaked me out. Made me decide never to drink while pregnant. Although have in my head i might have a pritzer at my baby shower!
Daff Posts: 11644
Not juding at all, just giving facts here. Googled it as I couldn't remember exactly what it was - but remember it beign very scary Fetal alcohol syndrome (FAS) is a disorder that can occur to the embryo when a pregnant woman ingests alcohol during pregnancy. It is unknown whether amount, frequency or timing of alcohol consumption during pregnancy causes a difference in degree of damage done to the fetus. This does not automatically result in FAS. The current recommendation of the US Surgeon General is not to drink at all during pregnancy.[1] Alcohol crosses the placental barrier and can stunt fetal growth or weight, create distinctive facial stigmata, damage neurons and brain structures, and cause other physical, mental, or behavioral problems.[2][3][4] Surveys found that in the United States, 10-15% of pregnant women admit to having recently used alcohol, and up to 30% use alcohol at some point during pregnancy.[5][6][7] The main effect of FAS is permanent central nervous system damage, especially to the brain. Developing brain cells and structures are underdeveloped or malformed by prenatal alcohol exposure, often creating an array of primary cognitive and functional disabilities (including poor memory, attention deficits, impulsive behavior, and poor cause-effect reasoning) as well as secondary disabilities (for example, mental health problems, and drug addiction).[4][8] The risk of brain damage exists during each trimester, since the fetal brain develops throughout the entire pregnancy.[9] Fetal alcohol exposure is the leading known cause of mental retardation in the Western world.[10][dubious – discuss] In the United States the FAS prevalence rate is estimated to be between 0.2 and 2.0 cases per 1,000 live births, comparable to or higher than other developmental disabilities such as Down syndrome or spina bifida.[11]
Babystar Posts: 195
There have been a few threads on this over the past while - and the majority of people seemed to be saying they were happy to have a glass or two every now and again. Personally I haven't had much so far as I just didn't feel like it in the first 12 weeks, but now that I feel better I might. My consultant in Holles St said that 2 glasses of wine a week was fine. So really its up to you.
wedjul05 Posts: 5673
Didn't drink at all on DS but now I would have the odd glass. Went to a wedding in france a while back and had 1-2 glasses all night. It wouldn't be a weekly occurence, just once in a while.