Horrified.....

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Mooches Posts: 875
I was at a family barbecue at the weekend and we were talking about how nice the weather had been last week (it lashed the entire day of the barbecue) and we got talking about how careless people were in the sun and how there were people red-raw walking around since. My cousin told us that a little baby in Donegal was left out in the sun and her head got so badly burned that she'll NEVER grow hair. :eek I was just sick to my stomach at the thoughts of her parents being so negligent and my dad thought her parents should be jailed for it and we all agreed. That poor little girl. :o( It's just horrifying. I was in the car last week during the roasting weather and passed a neighbour of ours out walking her 9 month old baby and the poor child was squinting in the blazing heat with only a little t-shirt and shorts on (all his chubby flesh on show) and absolutely NO shade on his delicate skin....it's awful. I also read an article yesterday about how baby's eyes can be permanently damaged from being burned by the sun. Sorry for going on, just can't believe things like this happening.
meeeeeow Posts: 1349
[quote="weddedilemma":2jq9uzvg]I was at a family barbecue at the weekend and we were talking about how nice the weather had been last week (it lashed the entire day of the barbecue) and we got talking about how careless people were in the sun and how there were people red-raw walking around since. [b:2jq9uzvg]My cousin told us that a little baby in Donegal was left out in the sun and her head got so badly burned that she'll NEVER grow hair[/b:2jq9uzvg]. :eek I was just sick to my stomach at the thoughts of her parents being so negligent and my dad thought her parents should be jailed for it and we all agreed. That poor little girl. :o( It's just horrifying. I was in the car last week during the roasting weather and passed a neighbour of ours out walking her 9 month old baby and the poor child was squinting in the blazing heat with only a little t-shirt and shorts on (all his chubby flesh on show) and absolutely NO shade on his delicate skin....it's awful. I also read an article yesterday about how baby's eyes can be permanently damaged from being burned by the sun. Sorry for going on, just can't believe things like this happening.[/quote:2jq9uzvg] I actually feel a little sick after reading your post. I just don't understand some people. :o( It's one thing not looking after your own skin, but a defenseless little child? It's unforgiveable. O:|
lifestooshort Posts: 2312
wow that's terrible bout that poor child getting so burnt. I seen a child pure pink in a beer garden a couple of years back I remember my blood boiling over it!!!! However, I had my little one out on her bike with just shorts and t-shirt, but I'd a hat on her head and factor 50+ freshly applied to her. I wouldn't have her out at peak times, she wouldn't let me to be honest but to get her out in such light clothes is brilliant. She was delighted with herself. In relation to the sun in her eyes generally she looses the plot if its in her eyes so try best to avoid this.
Blackbird Posts: 5135
DS has cool sunglasses and lovely sunhats and do you think he will leave either on him for more than a second! Not a chance. They are yanked off quicker than I can put them on and flung out of the buggy, on the ground, wherever. It's a nightmare trying to keep him shaded. Well not such a nightmare this week!
Perci Posts: 3847
That is complete child abuse :o( I really am paranoid about the sun on DS. We were over in the UK last week and the weather was scorching but I bought him one of those UV suits which put my mind at rest. Also had sun block on him (I don't think you can judge parents for shorts and t-shirt when the child could be covered in sunblock). He won't wear a hat either but we put a bandana on him and he kept that on so I think that's the way to go.
Mrs Electric Posts: 1939
oh my god thats awful, i was so paranoid about this last week, i didnt bring DS out until after 3 or just before 11, midwife at toddler group said suncreams were bad for them but id rather put them on him than see him burn, but had him well covered and little hat on, good shade on the quinny buzz and have parasol, i hate the sun in my eyes so can you imagine a little baby with delicate skin,, that is child abuse, the car is annother very dangerous place in heat, thank god i have air conditioning, id be lost without it, i did use it from april on even though i know we dont use it as much in ireland, also when its cloudy and breezy you can still get burnt, so parents should be very careful. this makes my blood boil. O:|
Mama2b! Posts: 131
If the sun does so much damage on adult skin that's a bit tougher, imagine what it's doing on a little baby with very soft, delicate skin...? Makes me so mad!! Another thing that drives me bonkers is when I see little soft infants or babies in the winter with no hats or anything covering their little hands and they're shaking with the cold and crying and the parents are oblivious! I think my little unborn baby agrees, he's kicking the ribs off me now! :o0
vanilla icecream Posts: 2125
[quote="weddedilemma":3quvpomk] My cousin told us that a little baby in Donegal was left out in the sun and her head got so badly burned that she'll NEVER grow hair. :eek I[/quote:3quvpomk] that is just so so terrible :o( that is child abuse, poor little girl. Babies heads are so delicate, what sort of mother would allow their child out in sun with not even a hat on :o(
hipbaby Posts: 4530
This is just sick >:o( a friend of DH's died from skin cancer a few years ago and he was actually told it was because he had a bad burn as a young child that the damage was already done...He could remember it too and reckoned he was only about 2 or 3 but remembered the pain from the burn..
brookee Posts: 751
Jeez thats the first i've heard about that and i live up here in donegal you'd think it would have been on the news or something it's neglect abuse or whatever you want to call it