Hospital Appointments and work.

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Piggle Posts: 1770
Hey girls, Quick question : Because I am being monitored closely for the start of my pregnancy I have a few hospital appointments, I went this morning and was back at 10.30, my boss asked me to work up the time this evening, when we are closed just to do over time on paper work. I am so tired these days, I am just not able for it. And don't feel the best. I didn't know what to say as I suppose what am I menat to do ..... Is this perfectly ok for my boss to make me do this?
Rocket Queen Posts: 7381
Short answer is NO. You are legally entitled to paid time off for pregnancy related hospital appointments. I was going to say I suppose he can ask, but I'm not even sure he can ask you to work late to make up for lost time. You are entitled to take paid time off from your employment to attend antenatal appointments (this also includes some antenatal classes - see paragraph below). You are also entitled to take paid time off for medical visits related to the pregnancy for 14 weeks after the birth. These employment rights are protected in Irish law through the Maternity Protection Act, 1994, the Maternity Protection (Amendment) Act 2004, the Maternity Protection (Time off for ante-natal care and post-natal care) Regulations, 1995, and the Maternity Protection (Disputes and Appeals) Regulations, 1995. http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categ ... tal_visits
Thumbelina Posts: 2340
A big NO NO! The cheek of him to even ask!
candypants Posts: 8575
Piggle i dont think he knows your pg though, does he??
Piggle Posts: 1770
yeah he knows, I had to tell when the lad here had swine flu and then when I was out last week it was handy that he knew!! I'll tell him later I'm too tired to make up the time and if they dock me I'll pull them up on it! Aaagh ... Wish I had a woman boss :) *)
roxi84 Posts: 260
Hi I work in payroll & human resources & the answer is no! Once your employer knows you are pregnant you are entitled to full paid time of for any appointments or illnesses dues to the pregnancy.