Hospital appointments & pay?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Duffers Posts: 1841
Hey gals, Quick question, all my hospital and midwives appointments are on a Monday. When I return to work, ill more than likely have Mondays off. I know you get paid for any appointments you attend. So Im guessing that now that these fall on my days off...tough. Wont get any other extra pay etc.? Thanks
Happymammy2010 Posts: 837
To be honest I wouldnt imagine that you would be paid however if I were you I would seek advice from citizens advice as they will tell you what you are entitled to. With a bit of luck you will get something.
milinda Posts: 785
Unless it has changed recently, one of the girls where I work was off on Wednesday's and this was the day of her appointments and she wasn't entitled to anything extra (she did check it out). However another one of the girls that was on a 3 day week changed the days of her appointment so that they fell on a work day, so she got the time off. As far as I know,It's not so much that you are entitled to be paid for them, it's that you are entitled to adequate (travel time etc) paid time off from work to attend an appointment.
Delphinium Posts: 3027
[quote="milinda":13eif66r] As far as I know,It's not so much that you are entitled to be paid for them, it's that you are entitled to adequate (travel time etc) paid time off from work to attend an appointment.[/quote:13eif66r] This would be my understanding as well. The law is that your employer must give you time off work to attend your ante-natal appointments if they fall during a working day and you should not be deducted pay for the time taken. It is not that you are paid to attend your appointments. Just that you should not be prevented from going or docked pay by your employer just because they fall in working hours.
Duffers Posts: 1841
Oh I knew that, sorry it didnt come across clearer O:| . I knew they have to continue to pay you so you can attend. I guess it just my tough that they fall on my day off. No worries, thanks anyway. :wv
micksmrs Posts: 931
MrsLegoLass it might just go in your favour that you are not working the days for appts, I was off on Mondays and all my appts were on a Monday, it was a god send as I wasnt breaking my neck to get back to work or wonding after two hours of sitting at the hospital was my employer looking for something/wanted me for something. It was a huge weight off my mind to be going to the appts in my own time. Also it was noted in a very positive way to me by staff that I hadn't taken any additional time off whilst being pregnant. Not that it would have been frowned upon had I needed time during work hours, my boss is a very lenient man but he did mention to me in a very nice way that I was always here when he needed me.