Hospital bag & labour bag question

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

BusyDee Posts: 8527
Im packing 2 bags - one big one for the hospital stay and a smaller one just for the labour room. Just wondering what happens when you arrive at the hospital in labour do you get assigned your room/ward then or is it after you have the baby? Just wondering what you do with the bigger bag if you are in the delivery room? Do you leave it in the car? I'm afraid I'll need something out of it and will be afraid to let hubbie go get it incase he misses anything! Sorry prob a really stupid question!
Lovemyboy Posts: 641
This is my first lo, so not too sure but from heat I have heard you just bring your labour bag into hospital with you. The bigger bag gets left in car. Maybe you could go through the bag with your hubby at home first so he knows what's what in case you do need something, but again try making sure everything is in your labour bag, easier said than done :o0
Thumbelina Posts: 2340
I left my hospital bag in the car & just brought the labour bag in with me. DH brought the hospital bag up to me once I was in my room after having the baby. Unless you're going to be kept in for a while on pre-natal before you go up to the labour ward, you won't need your big bag. If you do need anything, your DH can bring it up for you. If you're in pre-natal you'll probably have a good bit of time before the baby comes so he won't miss anything by running down to the car!
DollyMomma Posts: 1231
In Holles street they put a tag on your hospital bag and lock it away into a cupboard just outside the delivery ward...after you have your baby you're brought to your room/ward and then one of the nurses takes your hubby/partner to get your hospital bag back.
pinkframe Posts: 628
[quote="MissDiamonds":mjj0j0en]In Holles street they put a tag on your hospital bag and lock it away into a cupboard just outside the delivery ward...after you have your baby you're brought to your room/ward and then one of the nurses takes your hubby/partner to get your hospital bag back.[/quote:mjj0j0en] Hiya...so was that your big bag or the labour bag? I'm after packing a labour bag (gym size) + I was under the impression, this would be left in the locker + hubby would just get what I need from it as I read somewhere no bags were allowed in delivery ward? And then I have a big bag packed with all the nappies/babygro's/sexy green pads etc in it? Its kind of a "kit sized" bag...its on wheels but I thought it would be easier to push it under the bed than a case as such...did you put this hospital bag in that locker thing? I thought this would left in the car + hubby would bring it in after we are setup in a room. Sorry for all the questions...
MummyLuv Posts: 2478
In HS you are allowed to bring pads, 2 changes of underwear, nightdress (I put all these into a toiletries bag (one of DH'S!!), socks, water and vest,nappy, hat and baby grow for bubby thats it oh and tens machine but hated the bloody thing. Brought my mp3, camera and phone too. Other than that everything else goes into a room in admissions and DH picked it up for me. I never bothered packing two bags just had my main one and put everything I needed for labour on the top so DH could get what I needed. HTH This has just reminded me had better go get said stuff as will run out of time if I don't watch it lol
Daff Posts: 11644
[quote="Mrs Bambi":1brnz6zh]In HS you are allowed to bring pads, 2 changes of underwear, nightdress (I put all these into a toiletries bag (one of DH'S!!), socks, water and vest,nappy, hat and baby grow for bubby thats it oh and tens machine but hated the bloody thing. Brought my mp3, camera and phone too. Other than that everything else goes into a room in admissions and DH picked it up for me. I never bothered packing two bags just had my main one and put everything I needed for labour on the top so DH could get what I needed. HTH This has just reminded me had better go get said stuff as will run out of time if I don't watch it lol[/quote:1brnz6zh] I think it might depend on how busy they are in HS. When I'd DD I wasn't allowed labour bag in the labour room, DH had to go out and get what was needed. My labour bag is a rusksack adn hospital bag a gym bag this time round. I found there was very little room in the post labour ward in my cubicle so trying to cut it down and DH can bring stuff in to me if needed. Oh and they lost my hospital bag after DD was born... not that I'd the energy to care :o0
DollyMomma Posts: 1231
Hi Angel Dust, The bag that was kept in a locker was my hospital bag, my labour bag was a gym bag too, I had a nightie, socks, pair of knickers and a pad for me and then a vest, babygrow, hat and nappy for baby. All I used out of it was the nighty. After I had baby the midwife wedged a pad in between my legs (sorry I know it's gross). I had an epidural so maybe it was just because I was so numb that they didnt bother trying to wiggle knickers onto me :o0 baby was wrapped up in two blankets and was only put into his nappy, vest and babygrow up on the ward.
pinkframe Posts: 628
Hmmmm, I’m a bit confused now! I think I’ll just stick with the 2 bags + sure if I amn’t allowed the labour bag into the ward, what harm. I’ll put a babygro etc into the labour bag so DH won’t have to rush out to the car...even if they don’t put it onto the baby until we’re in the ward, I’ll have it. I’ll probably have lots of other things on my mind when the time comes!...but for the minute, its just all so mysterious! Thanks for answering all the questions! :thnk
VirgoMam Posts: 66
Question for Rotunda mums, the list they gave me has my toiletries & a towel inthe labour bag. Will I get to shower before going up to the the ward? I assumed it would be after. I'm going S/P if that makes any difference Thanks!