Hospital grade breast pumps

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

weddingdiva Posts: 1349
Thinking of investing in one of these, can anybody recommend one, also someone was saying you can rent them? Is this true and if so where from? is their a big difference between normal pumps and hospital grade ones, I see prices range from 40 to 2000 euro. In health have ones for the 200 euro mark and claim they are hospital grade, but I'm not convinced! Would these ones be good enough or should I look to buying/ renting the real hospital grade ones
FoundHome Posts: 1753
I rented a Medela Symphony from Medicare for €90 per month. It was the same one I used in the hospital and recommended by the lactation consultant. I did look into purchasing one and it was €1500 or so to buy. After 4 weeks of exclusively pumping I was dying to get DS onto the boob which I did thankfully as I had no love for the pump longterm. I did use the Medela Swing a couple of times a week to have a bottle ready for DH nightfeeds at the weekend. Obviously took twice as long as the Symphony as it was only a single pump but it did the job. I'm not sure what ones Inhealth are offering at €200 but that seems inexpensive. Are there any reviews for it? PS I was able to claim the pump rental fee against my Med1 form as an expense. I know you used to be able to claim breastpump purchase as an expense too but you may want check that out in case it changed in the last Budget.
ohsotired Posts: 7071
I had to rent the Symphony at the start of our BF journey! I use the Swing now for expressing. Unless you're planning on expressing full-time I wouldn't see a need for a hospital grade pump! B
maviscruet Posts: 73
I am currently using the Symphony pump which I rented for €95 a month, am finding it brilliant so far (only a few days in). Can I ask the other ladies who went from pumping back to breastfeeding if you found it difficult? At the moment our little man is probably getting 60 - 70% of his feeds from expressed breast milk and the rest from formula as am still building up a supply after medical problems stopped me properly breast feeding from the start. I am breast feeding him a couple of times during the day as well so he doesn't forget about the boob but I am really looking forward to getting him back on the boob once am producing enough to feed him properly. How did you do it and do you have any tips? I think I am probably a couple of weeks away from being able to do it and am a bit nervous that I won't have enough. I'm going to call the hospital breast feeding support person again in a couple of days but I would love some feedback from others who have been there, I felt like such a failure when I couldn't produce enough milk for him and I hated having to give him formula so any tips would be great. Thanks a million.
FoundHome Posts: 1753
[quote="maviscruet":1iynvf8y]I am currently using the Symphony pump which I rented for €95 a month, am finding it brilliant so far (only a few days in). Can I ask the other ladies who went from pumping back to breastfeeding if you found it difficult? At the moment our little man is probably getting 60 - 70% of his feeds from expressed breast milk and the rest from formula as am still building up a supply after medical problems stopped me properly breast feeding from the start. I am breast feeding him a couple of times during the day as well so he doesn't forget about the boob but I am really looking forward to getting him back on the boob once am producing enough to feed him properly. How did you do it and do you have any tips? I think I am probably a couple of weeks away from being able to do it and am a bit nervous that I won't have enough. I'm going to call the hospital breast feeding support person again in a couple of days but I would love some feedback from others who have been there, I felt like such a failure when I couldn't produce enough milk for him and I hated having to give him formula so any tips would be great. Thanks a million.[/quote:1iynvf8y] Firstly congrats on the new baby! Please please please do not think of this issue as a failure. It can be overcome but it may take a few weeks. It's great that you're getting Jnr to the breast already. We were two weeks before we did that and six weeks before we were fully on the boob. We introduced one BF at a time, continued this for 3-4 days and DS was checked and weighed to ensure he was maintaining/gaining weight. Once PHN and LC were happy we added another BF and repeated until all feeds were BF. Re pumping: I pumped religiously every 3hrs day and night. I tried to keep expressing (15-20mins) until I got more than he needed per feed. Like if he was taking 3oz I'd try to continue until I got 3.5-4oz. After a BF session again I'd pump immediately afterwards for 5mins or so to help increase supply. I ate lots of oats (couple of bowls of porridge a today, flapjacks and changed over to bread with oats), drank lots of water and tried to rest in between feeds. I also did a couple of days in bed with DS. No visitors and DH bringing me food and drinks. If your supply is really low, you can take Motilium to help increase supply but I'd check with your LC or GP first for dosage levels. There are also natural substances like Fenugreek that you can take to help increase supply. Here's a list of foods too [url:1iynvf8y]http://www.babycenter.in/baby/youafterthebirth/nutrition/foods-to-increase-breastmilk/[/url:1iynvf8y] Hope this helps :wv
ohsotired Posts: 7071
maviscruet I didn't find it difficult going back to BF full-time - in fact I found it easier! I had to pump to bring in my milk and then was BF with EBM top-ups for a couple of weeks. DD lost interest in the top-ups and I lost interest in expressing so we stopped when she was around 3 weeks old. I only started 'pleasure pumping' in the last fortnight! Best of luck - BF was so much more difficult than I could have imagined at the beginning but every drop of BM your LO gets whether BF or EBM is like gold to them - you're doing a fantastic job!! Oh and on feeling like a failure - I had a total emotional melt-down in the hospital when my milk didn't come in. They had to give DD a formula top-up because she was so wound up from upset and hunger - I couldn't even watch them give it to her, a health care attendant had to take her away to do it. You'd think they were giving her poison the way I felt - I blame the hormones for exaggerating the situation for me but that aside I did feel like a failure but I know now I wasn't and neither are you! :xox
maviscruet Posts: 73
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it. I am happy that he is getting a fair amount of breast milk even if he has to have a few top ups and I will just have to persevere with the pumping until the supply goes up. I didn't think it would upset me so much but I think its hormones, tiredness and generally feeling overwhelmed. My husband is fairly supportive but at the same time doesn't really get why I have to spend so much time washing, sterilising and pumping! Hopefully in the next while we will be able to move to more breast feeding. I am nervous though about the baby not getting enough, I suppose I will have to play it by ear once we are a bit more sorted. thanks again so much for the support, I feel a lot less alone today! :)