Hospital Stay/Longer??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Mama Dora Posts: 14987
Ok its me again with a question (are you getting sick of me yet ?) Is it possible to stay longer in the hospital?and what is the usual stay for the first child,thanks
WonderWol Posts: 2927
Sorry Dolly (love the new name btw) think it's 3 days but not sure, SIL was in for over a week but she had an unscheduled C Section so youlre kept in longer for that. Did you see the trailer on RTE last night ...... there's a new programme starting next week (think it's Thursday @ 8.30pm) and it's about a retired midwife who comes out to peoples houses when they've had new babies .... sorry it's a bit vague but I only caught a bit of the trailer, looked really good though.
notlongtogo Posts: 5040
Its called baby on board. Mama, i think you stay about 3/4 days on your first and 2/3 on subsequent. Do you want to stay longer? are you worried about bringing a little baby home?
Tigletts Posts: 2904
I think as is always the case here, there aren't enough beds, so they'll send you home as soon as they think you can go. I'd rather be at home anyhow I think. I'm not sure I'd get more rest/sleep in the hospital. I'd rather be in my own bed snuggled up to my DH and my baby on the other side (not in the bed tho :o0 )
I was talking to a woman and she said to stay as long as you can,she found out her daughter had a few problems on day 3 and if she had of gone home it could have been tragic...but of course listening to other peoples stories has me thinking and my mother is doing my head in about it-I did say I doubt you can just stay on your own accord as the bed situation would be scare... I am thinking about when baby arrives home now and hope I can do everything right but thats only natural,ive never even changed a nappie!! After the classes I hope to be feeling more confident
notlongtogo Posts: 5040
Mama, dont be worried i know all of us first timers have the same concerns. My sis NEVER changed a nappy, fed a baby, held a baby, dressed a baby - you getting the message!!!! Yet she was breastfeeding within 5 mins of giving birth and did all the rest no problem, yes it took her a while and the baby got some nappies put on backwards but they both survived with no trouble. Id say that woman daughter was in the majority and you always only hear the bad stories, never the ones of oh she was brilliant and baby was fine. You will be a great Mammy dont be worrying. :xxx
Christmas B Posts: 6191
[color=indigo:30427mde]I've heard that you're better to stay in for as long as you can because in the hospital you get help but once you're home you're on your todd!![/color:30427mde]
So true girls and as most of us feel getting home into our own little routines would be great but really and truely if you think about it,it will happen just maybe a day later...I am hopefully DH will be able to take a week or so off so we can learn together,I don't want everything to be one sided am I wrong to think like that?
Christmas B Posts: 6191
[color=indigo:snyvmb8l]Not at all chick!!! I soooooooooooo don't have a clue what's ahead of me and I'm kind of scared even at the thought of me looking after a little tiny baby!!! I haven't a bogs how to even change a nappy!!! I soooooo want DH learning as I'm learning as it'll be great support for each other to learn at the same time!! DH will take the week off work too, hopefully more if he can!!! Oh Mama, I'm shitten it even now!!![/color:snyvmb8l]
:o0 Me too Mama your so funny,lets hope its like a walk in the park to us and we go on to have 2 more each :ooh