Hotel in recievership

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Holly001 Posts: 34
Hi girls, Hotel we have provisionally booked is in recievership. Only 10 months left to wedding but they are the only hotel in the county with the date i have my heart set on left available. pressure is on to pay deposit but i'm nervous about loosing that money. Has anyone else had similiar experiences or advice!!!
OrTees Posts: 907
Hi Holly001, Do you know why they are in receivership? Our hotel is also in receivership but for them it is business as usual and they are profitable. The only reason that they are in receivership is that the owner's assets were all taken into Nama, regardless of what state they were trading in, purely because of the owner. See what you can find out through asking or google or even post the name of the venue here and you might get some more info. Good luck :)
Drummergirl Posts: 210
[quote="OrTees":36h07f9s]Hi Holly001, Do you know why they are in receivership? Our hotel is also in receivership but for them it is business as usual and they are profitable. The only reason that they are in receivership is that the owner's assets were all taken into Nama, regardless of what state they were trading in, purely because of the owner. See what you can find out through asking or google or even post the name of the venue here and you might get some more info. Good luck :)[/quote:36h07f9s] +1 on this (might be same hotel weve booked) find out why & ask if they have a separate account that they keep ur deposit in so if the worst does happen u get ur money back. Also if you have a credit card check with the bank & see if u pay the deposit with the card & anything happens to the hotel if u will get a refund(some feature in most credit cards that if the service u paid for isn't delivered u are due a refund) What I will say is at least u know that the hotel is in receivership & it's really in the hotels best interests to keep it open & make any money it can. Also google it & see if there is anything u find there and check the company registration office website, u can see their financials on this website & might be able to figure out yourself how bad it is. I hope everything works out for u x
belcra Posts: 1097
Our hotel is the same. At their suggestion we lodged the deposit into a solicitor's account. He then wrote a letter confirming the money is in his account and is non refundable u less they go out of business at which point it would be returned to us. Try suggesting that to your hotel maybe.
sweetbubbles Posts: 377
[quote="belcra":2dz4q9vt]Our hotel is the same. At their suggestion we lodged the deposit into a solicitor's account. He then wrote a letter confirming the money is in his account and is non refundable u less they go out of business at which point it would be returned to us. Try suggesting that to your hotel maybe.[/quote:2dz4q9vt] +1 That's an excellent idea! If they want your business they'll surely agree to that!
belcra Posts: 1097
Hi, Just wondering what happened in the end? Did you negotiate anything with your hotel?
clarenenes Posts: 118
Hi. If you put your deposit on your credit card and any other monetary dealings with the hotel on your credit card if they do close you can claim all the money back on your credit card insurance. Be sure not to pay them with cash.. Also find out who the company who has taken over the hotel is. A lot of places are in recievership but are trading as a growing concern so they are business as usual.. Good luck
Holly001 Posts: 34
Hi girls sorry for late reply! Yeah we just paid it!! Spoke too manager and hotel is running fine plenty of bookings for next few years. Wedding fair next month and only 9 months left till big day so if its ment to be it will be!! Hopefully!! Where in the country have you booked drummer
mobmar Posts: 642
[quote="clarenenes":3dfey9pk]Hi. If you put your deposit on your credit card and any other monetary dealings with the hotel on your credit card if they do close you can claim all the money back on your credit card insurance. Be sure not to pay them with cash.. Also find out who the company who has taken over the hotel is. A lot of places are in recievership but are trading as a growing concern so they are business as usual.. Good luck[/quote:3dfey9pk] Don't think it works that way if the hotel is in receivership when you pay your deposit.