Hotel Payment?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

willow-tree Posts: 217
We went to see our hotel on Saturday to provisionally book it for December 2010. It is the four seasons in Carlingford. The wedding coordinator was discussing the deposit etc. and said that they will be changing how the balance is paid, they are introducing stage payments where 70% of the balance will be paid before the wedding and then the remainder paid the day after. Does this sound really cheeky to you? Why do they need us to pay 70% of the balance before the wedding? I am just concerned as I have never heard of anything like this before so I guess just wondering if any other hotels have a policy like this?
Mark1984 Posts: 36
Its a sign of the times, cash-flow is the reason. Seems that most of the Hotels are looking for most of the money up front. I expect we will be in the same boat.
bride2be2009 Posts: 175
Hi there, this is our hotel in Oct 2009. At the moment the payment is the day after the wedding upon check out. Yes i think you are right in asking why is it changing as we have not been notified about this. Another reason why it might be changing is that alot of people are pushing out their wedding and cash flow is one reason they would ask for it.
frillynickers Posts: 1765
ours is something like that too but its not 70% in one go. We paid 1500 up front deposit in august, we've to pay another 2500 in feb and then pay 50% 2 months before the wedding and the balance within one week of the wedding. So it would be the norm.
[quote="bride2be2009":z6j8x1a1]Hi there, this is our hotel in Oct 2009. At the moment the payment is the day after the wedding upon check out. Yes i think you are right in asking why is it changing as we have not been notified about this. Another reason why it might be changing is that alot of people are pushing out their wedding and cash flow is one reason they would ask for it.[/quote:z6j8x1a1] bride2be2009 I doubt they could change your terms and conditions because you've signed them, I am sure it is only changing for new bookings. I think I will have to email Lorraine there and ask her exactly how it will work, and most importantly do we have any assurance that they wont go bust and we will lose 70% of the value of our reception :o(
ladyandthetramp Posts: 411
id say cashflow is the reason but i wouldnt be giving it to them, what if they hotel is not there on your wedding day? and you have given them 70%, i cant get over the suppliers and hotels, looking to be paid in part or full before they even do the job!!! what happened to deposits, i dont think its a good idea, its up to you if you really want that hotel but i would be very wary if you did give them the money. and make sure you have some comeback in writing if things go wrong for the hotel.
[quote="frillynickers":47012asq]ours is something like that too but its not 70% in one go. We paid 1500 up front deposit in august, we've to pay another 2500 in feb and then pay 50% 2 months before the wedding and the balance within one week of the wedding. So it would be the norm.[/quote:47012asq] Thanks for that frillynickers, glad its the same in other hotels.
bride2be2009 Posts: 175
Yes thats true we have signed our terms and conditions so thats fine. Thanks for reminding me. I think by emailing Lorraine for a full explaination then thats the way to go. I love the food and everything else about the hotel btw... the location is really lovely and the room is a good layout I think.
[quote="kitten2":nncjumbt]id say cashflow is the reason but i wouldnt be giving it to them, what if they hotel is not there on your wedding day? and you have given them 70%, i cant get over the suppliers and hotels, looking to be paid in part or full before they even do the job!!! what happened to deposits, i dont think its a good idea, its up to you if you really want that hotel but i would be very wary if you did give them the money. and make sure you have some comeback in writing if things go wrong for the hotel.[/quote:nncjumbt] Your right in saying that it is mad, considering how much money we are actually talking about. If we got wedding insurance would it cover the closure of the venue?
cremebrulee Posts: 8546
In our hotel, we had to pay a deposit of €1500 initially. Nine months before the wedding we also had to pay another similar sum. A month before the wedding, we have to pay 70% and on the day, we have to pay a balance. Was in our terms and conditions.