Hotel Payments -------

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Marymullingan Posts: 341
Im just wondering do people pay the hotel every month if they have the cash.....Im not geting married till next july and i have payed the hotel €15,000 so far, is this the normal??? Just really dont want a big bill come next year !
fifi09 Posts: 414
Hi Debbie I'd be careful with things as they are at the moment. They're have been horror stories on here this year of people paying over 10000 to their hotel only for the hotel to go bust. I'm getting married in 6 weeks. Paid 2k deposit in January 08. Paid 6k today and not paying anything else until 2 weeks before wedding. Would you not just put the money away? We had a wedding account and worked out well, we both had access to it and a laser card and cheque book from that account.
sunny505 Posts: 1807
Our hotel is costing approx 6,000. We have paid 1500 and that's all I intend to pay until the wedding itself. Think I'd prefer it to be in my bank account earning interest rather than in the hotel's. Also would hate if something happened to hotel and I had paid huge money. Sounds like you have a very large hotel bill so I can understand why you're paying it off. Alternative would be to put the same amount into a credit union account which is harder to access - no credit card or pass card and have it ready then in a cheque to pay hotel just before the wedding.
Marymullingan Posts: 341
hi Girls i think your both right, its just when u hear these horror stories you think its not going to happen to you, but you never know I do have the money in a bank account and was just taking it out every month and posting to them........I dont think i will pay another penny till nearer the time Fingers crossed it doesnt go bust !! Thanks
sunny505 Posts: 1807
Just thinking if you had €15,000 in the bank for one year and you earned interest for every 1% that's €150 so if you were getting a fairly standard 4% interest that's €600 - would pay for your wedding car or caricature artist or something. That's what the hotel is making on it. Really there should be some reduction for paying so early, I think.
Marymullingan Posts: 341
I know your prop right :eek Nothing i can do now- just hope the hotel is still standing in 8 months time ! Have mostly everything eles done !
Marymullingan Posts: 341
I know your prop right :eek Nothing i can do now- just hope the hotel is still standing in 8 months time ! Have mostly everything eles done !
fifi09 Posts: 414
I'm sure everything will be fine Debbie, don't worry about it but I wouldn't pay them anymore until closer to the time. We're gonna have 75% paid 2 weeks beforehand and the remaining 25% on the day itself. Best of luck with all the plans. Can't wait for the day itself now but will miss all the planning when it's over so enjoy every minute of it :-8
1