Hotel Recommendation

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

vinoqueeno Posts: 3511
Hi, Looking for a bit of help. My birthday's coming up and DH wants to take me away somewhere. Nothing too outrageous, just somewhere nice that has some nice restaurants nearby. He'd originally wanted to take me to Galway as I'm a big child and the Christmas markets would be on up there but accommodation is working out pricey enough. So I'm looking for any suggestions/recommendations. About a 4hr drive max from Co. Cork and preferably within a €200 budget. All suggestions greatly appreciated!! :thnk
streaks Posts: 3592
How about a night in Dublin, shopping, nice lunch and a few cocktails in the evening. For nice hotels around your price range I'd check out the Gibson or the radisson on golden lane have fun where ever you decide on :wv
vinoqueeno Posts: 3511
Thanks Lilmrsgiggles, I've heard nice things about the Gibson alright so might check that out.
Finicky Fi Posts: 2134
Not far from Galway so you could make a day trip, and fab. [url:2h1ectsp]http://www.sheedys.com/[/url:2h1ectsp]
Penny Hill Posts: 1898
Kilkenny is always a good spot for a weekend away. You could do Kilkenny castle and the dunmore caves, during the day. There is great pubs too. I stayed in The Ormond Hotel - its very nice and should be within that budget. Also i second Dublin, cos there is so much to do. You could treat yourself to a stay in the Four Seasons, they seem to do rooms for €185. The D hotel and the morgan are also very nice and right in the middle of town. I'm biased cos i live in Dublin. But PM if you decide on Dublin and want info. :wv
sportybride Posts: 22
You could look at staying in Ennis its less than an hours drive from Galway and 40 mins from limerick. There are loads of Christmas on around Clare as well during the Christmas season if you're into Christmas markets. Hotels are probably cheaper there as well. The Old Ground and the Templegate look nice and are right in the centre of town. Just a warning re the Christmas markets in Galway - i was in Galway a couple of weeks ago getting my hair done and my hairdresser said that the markets might not be on this year if the "Occupy Eyre Square" campers are not cleared from Eyre Square. At the time they were loads of tents around Eyre Square not sure if they are still there though!
YoMammaSo Posts: 3256
Not saying your right or wrong sportybride I'm from and living in galway and havnt heard this. Have u looked up lidl breaks for galway, I love lidl breaks, find them fantastic value !
galwaygirl2010 Posts: 2447
[quote="sportybride":3nn5d5bq]Just a warning re the Christmas markets in Galway - i was in Galway a couple of weeks ago getting my hair done and my hairdresser said that the markets might not be on this year if the "Occupy Eyre Square" campers are not cleared from Eyre Square. At the time they were loads of tents around Eyre Square not sure if they are still there though![/quote:3nn5d5bq] This has now been sorted and the Occupy Eyre Square movement will reloate to make room for the markets. The markets are due to open on the 25th of November. For hotels in Galway, try www.roomex.com - they usually have excellent deals. Example - the Salthill hotel in Salthill (5 min drive or 30 min stroll) from the town centre is 120e for 2 nights in December. Excellent hotel right on the prom.
Scruff1 Posts: 3139
The Absolut Hotel in Limerick is lovely and often has really good deals!
SaraD08 Posts: 1795
http://www.rewardingtimes.ie/2-night-st ... alpage.ie/ this is a great deal :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll