House sitting for Wedding day??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

kittycatt24 Posts: 1322
With the increase in break ins and esp after reading the victim of crime thread, really concerned re the empty house on our wedding day. Our house is rural, but 5 mins from suburbs and People in the locality would know when a persons wedding day is. Have been a few breakins in the area lately. I have heard of houses burgled while the owners are attending family wedding or funeral. But who do you get to mind your house? Anyone that we would be close enough to trust to house sit will be invited to wedding anyway! Have seen on another forum people hire security companies to sit outside the house for the day. Any thoughts or suggestions?
MrsAtobe Posts: 1158
Hmm good thinking, I think now I'll ask our neighbours to keep an eye on the place, we're not close enough to them that they'd be invited but they'd do it no problem, and they're right next door. We'll leave a few cars outside the house too, and might get a few to pop in on the way from the church to the venue.
RoseDawson Posts: 1494
Gosh as you said sure everyone will be at the wedding. I would not worry too much, but make sure in all the fuss of the wedding morning that all the windows and doors and locked and someone remembers to put on the alarm (if ye have one).
Rogue User Posts: 6101
Borrow someone's dog?
anon29 Posts: 51
Yes we got a security company for our wedding...A guy came along in van about 4pm that day and stayed outside for night..w.e paid about €250 for it but it was peace of mind as there had been a lot of break ins in our area at the time!
Ellefun Posts: 1312
We were lucky because DHs brother and girlfriend stayed in our house for the couple of days int he run up to the wedding (they came over from UK) and stayed while we were on our mini-moon. The house was only un-occupied for just under 24 hours all in all. We live in a curtain twitcher neighbourhood so if anything was amiss in that time it would have been reported. Failing that we would have specifically asked a neighbour and given them a key and asked them to go in afew times during the day, just to keep anyone on their toes who was casing the place.
Smileykaz Posts: 7296
We did that Ellefun. Our next door neighbour and one across the road had a key/alarm code and promised us they'd look after the house for us. They even parked their car in our driveway and went in to check lights etc to make it look like someone was there. On our part we didn't put up any wedding cards either in the run up to the day or on the day itself. Flowers and anything weddingy were put out of sight. And we didn't have balloons or anything outside the house. Our photographers didn't take any photos outside and the car arrived five minutes before we left for the church. So there was literally a five minute window where a fancy car pulled up and a bride came out of the house that anyone watching would have known there was a wedding on. Definitely take down your wedding cards and paraphenalia (totally cannot spell today) before you leave for the church. Pull blinds, put on lights, lock every single window and your front and back door. Entrust a key to a neighbour and ask them to come in once a day to change the lights that are on. Give them your number in case the worst happens.
Nostress Posts: 1606
I will def be asking the neighbours to keep an eye on things. Even though we live in the city there have been a good few cases on this, there are always people on the look out to make a quick buck. Funerals seem their favourite though as these are announced in the paper/online.
[quote="Nostress":3p0id1yk]I will def be asking the neighbours to keep an eye on things. Even though we live in the city there have been a good few cases on this, there are always people on the look out to make a quick buck. Funerals seem their favourite though as these are announced in the paper/online.[/quote:3p0id1yk] Have heard of a woman coming home from burying her husband to find the house torn apart! That makes me so angry! Also heard of a person being robbed while taking part in winning streak, as they used give out full address details!
Just rang a security company there and it would be 18€ per hour and 22€ after midnight! Will discuss this with family for peace of mind!