House warming Present

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

ShutterBug Posts: 1056
A good friend is due to move into her first home in the next few weeks. Anyone have any ideas for a good house warming present? She has bought most of the essentials herself, Im really stuck for ideas for something to get her. Max budget would be €50 but if I could pick something up for a bit less it would be helpful as money is tight enough. If all else fails I can get her a voucher, not sure which shop to get one for though. Thanks :wv
lilybelle Posts: 424
we got lots of differnt things when we moved into our house the usual photo frames and glasses sets but we also got a chocolate fondue set which was unusal and we got some practical pressie to like a bale of towels and i have to say this was great cos really you can never have to many towels. i had towels from pennies which were ok but didn't make the colour scheme in my new bathroom so when a friend came to apologing for her "boring present" of towels in a neutral tone i was delighted amazing how the small things in life make you happy! :) have a look of debenhams web site they have some nice things and tk max do the more unusal things if you want something different. thats where the chocolate fondue set came from :wv
missymoomooo Posts: 639
When we moved in our friends were so good to us, i got LOTS of wine and champagne which was well appreciated!! One friend got us a voucher for IKEA which was brill. Another friend got us a set of towels to match the colour of one of the bathrooms which was so thoughtful as they are lovely fluffy towels and i would have only been able to but something cheap. I'm sure your friend will appreciate anything and i actually thing 50 is far too much to be spending for a house warming, i was delighted just to get a token off anyone who thought of it. Oh another friend got us yankee candles which i know house and home do have on special now and again and i love them so was delighted with them too!
paperclips Posts: 3146
How about a Yankee Candle Gift Set. We got one of these recently and it was fab. Think it would probably come in under your budget if you order online. Came in a lovel little basket. Its different to the usual glasses, photo frames etc. House has been smelling fab last couple of weeks :o)ll
Dollydel Posts: 1726
All our friends got us vouchers for Dunnes. They were great presents as we were able to get a few bits for the house and a couple of weeks shopping which was a huge help because we had no spare cash. Also got some lovely vases. One that is too large for anywhere but it is beautiful. Got lots and lots and lots of candles.
mammymcphee Posts: 4477
oh the towels is a great idea, we got a few sets and it was brilliant to have them we also got a lovely bed set from one of my friends, that was nice to have, its was a nice one from Next :wv a voucher for debenhams would be a good idea if you wanted to get them a voucher as theres so much to choose from :wv
Thanks for the suggestions ladies. I know one of the local shops does the Yankee Candles and often has them on sale so will go there for a look. Towels are a great idea and never would have thought of them for a present. We never have enough in our house!
Jawl Posts: 8881
I would buy a Yankee candle, the large jarred ones. I'd never splash out on one for myself, I just buy the tartlets and break them up and put them in my burner.
[quote="dollydoo":3hv630nb]All our friends got us vouchers for Dunnes. They were great presents as we were able to get a few bits for the house and a couple of weeks shopping which was a huge help because we had no spare cash. Also got some lovely vases. One that is too large for anywhere but it is beautiful. Got lots and lots and lots of candles.[/quote:3hv630nb] I thought of a Dunnes voucher as Ive bought a lot for the house there but I always remember when we were 21 another friends uncle gave her £21 worth of Dunnes vouchers and oh how we laughed at what a ridiculous present it was. But Im sure for this stage of our lives its perfectly acceptable. Thanks again girls. Im calling over this week to see the house before she moves in so will make a note of what colours her bathrooms and bedroom are.
Twirl Posts: 5598
We got lovely beleek pasta bowls from my Aunt and Uncle and i have to say they are brilliant and its something we wouldnt have bought ourselves. I know you want to get something nice but inexpensive here are just a few little things that might give you ideas ( not to everyones taste however ) House Plant Inscense and holder for the incense stick voucher for TK maxx ( €30 would be plenty ) Oven dishes - nice stonewear ones like le Creuset ( TK Maxx do these and copies ) Cookery Book Nice hand soap and lotion set Wine bottle stoppers Britta Water filter jug Teapot or coffee thingy ( sorry dont drink coffee ) :wv Towels are a good one too, you really never can have too many.