How accurate are the hospitals at telling sex of baby?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

love struck Posts: 1125
Had my big scan today and once everything was ok was really excited about finding out the sex.. Have two LO's already and didnt find out on them but felt as this pregnancy was such a suprise we would find out.. Not to get into it too much put the midwife doing scan was really rude.. And when we asked could she tell the sex she said.. Ohh you want to know. So she looked at the screen and said babies not in great position (which I understand can happen) but it looks male but not 100%. She then turned off screen handed us our scans and said goodbye. So feel soo deflatted as not due another scan.. So dont know what to think!! :weep :weep :weep
lcarrick Posts: 1639
we've booked a private gender scan for next week, its costing 130 euro but we really want to find out. we where told that they next give a 100% guarantee. its more like 80 - 90% suppose they want to cover themselves incase they're wrong.
Trafford Posts: 463
[quote="love struck":14zjk3nf]Had my big scan today and once everything was ok was really excited about finding out the sex.. Have two LO's already and didnt find out on them but felt as this pregnancy was such a suprise we would find out.. Not to get into it too much put the midwife doing scan was really rude.. And when we asked could she tell the sex she said.. Ohh you want to know. So she looked at the screen and said babies not in great position (which I understand can happen) but it looks male but not 100%. She then turned off screen handed us our scans and said goodbye. So feel soo deflatted as not due another scan.. So dont know what to think!! :weep :weep :weep[/quote:14zjk3nf] What a silly bint that midwife is >:o(
theoracle Posts: 7664
Sorry you had a bad experience, that sucks. There was a poll about it here recently and it seemed that the 'success' rate was 75 or 80% from what I recall.
love struck Posts: 1125
Thks Ladies, lcarrick, where are you getting your gender scan done?
Mrs Summer Posts: 5040
Sorry you had such bad treatment at you scan, there really are some fcukers out there that shouldn't be doing the job they are doing O:| O:| O:| We were told that there was "No Chance" of them being wrong on our little one as he supposodly is "well endowed" which is father is sooo proud of :o0 :o0 :o0 , will let you know in a couple of weeks if they were correct or not, they better had or else we'll have a tomboy what with all our blue clothes :o0 :o0 :o0
amberjack Posts: 1273
I found out it was a boy at the 20 week scan, the sonographer was so nice and said she could definitely see the testes and was 100 % certain. She said she wouldnt tell us if she wasnt. Being a bit of a doubting Thomas, I asked my consultant could he check at the 24 week scan and he confirmed he could definitely see the scrotum. So yes, its a boy!
GirlFriday Posts: 1815
Here's the poll :wv
Daff Posts: 11644
It's very rare to say it's a boy and for it to actually be a girl, but quiet commmone the other way round! We had a 3D scan and she didn't even have to tell me, as soon as I saw the screen of her 'bits' I went 'it's a girl!'. We're going to find out again but not sure if I trust the hosptial to tell me. Might wait for 3D scan again, but either way will be finding out!
brightling Posts: 1496
One of the girls on our Feb thread posted yesterday about someone she knows who was told at 2 different scans that it was a boy, and yesterday she gave birth.... to a little girl!! Thats awful about the sonographer though, her attitude sucks. To her its just a job but our little babies are so precious and special to us. Not asking for her to jump up and down with excitement but its not too much to ask for someone to be polite and courteous.