How cheeky is this?!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

lux Posts: 6270
Hubby just got an invite on FB to a friend's child's christening in a few weeks. At the end is a note stating: As we have more than enough baby things we want to start a small savings account for our precious child. Please be aware of this when considering what gift to give. (I've edited it slightly in case the parents might stumble across this.) Is it me or is this SO cheeky, OH thinks, fair enough, we know to give cash, but I am thinking NO WAY!
ohsotired Posts: 7071
God, that is seriously tactless!! I think because they put it on a FB invite makes it seem even more tacky to me!
LuckyYear2013 Posts: 3972
[quote="ohsotired":f3h533kn]God, that is seriously tactless!! I think because they put it on a FB invite makes it seem even more tacky to me![/quote:f3h533kn] totally agree with this. Unbelieveable!
Esketti Posts: 936
sweet baby jesus :ooh thats disgusting. Absolutely horrible.
GreenerPastures Posts: 7284
It is cheeky imo. I think it's cheeky to reference gifts at all, cash or otherwise. From a religious note a christianing is a sacrament; not a chance to get pressies. I wouldn't mention gifts and if someone gave a gift I'd accept it graciously. But it really is in poor taste to [i:15hw7k42]expect[/i:15hw7k42] money. I've never heard of it before to be honest. Any christening I know of are low key and maybe family and close friends give gifts but rarely if ever have I heard people putting money in an envelope for it. Hmm, it's a new one on me.
paperclips Posts: 3146
:ooh :ooh :ooh :ooh :ooh :ooh :ooh :ooh :ooh :ooh That is so cheeky. I cant believe that. Vouchers it is then! Can I ask, did you gave a gift already for the baby when he/she was born? Are you supposed to give a gift when the baby is born and another gift when the baby is christened??
lux Posts: 6270
Any time we've been invited to a christening we usually get a small gift for the child, maybe a bottle of champers for the parents and a token gift for the siblings if there are any so they don't feel let out. I think this is so cheeky (one parent is American, maybe that has something to do with it!).
ShutterBug Posts: 1056
Oh my god! :eek sooo cheeky! In our family Christenings were always just family occasions. I dont understand people inviting everyone and we have been asked to a few. I just buy a small gift, would never give money for a christening.
queen30 Posts: 1551
tasteless. id bring a present now just coz i was annoyed.
happyfamily Posts: 3323
[quote="Miss Ted":qv7ugq6f]Oh my god! :eek sooo cheeky! In our family Christenings were always just family occasions. I dont understand people inviting everyone and we have been asked to a few. I just buy a small gift, would never give money for a christening.[/quote:qv7ugq6f] I agree. Have a small family christening and a hame cooked meal after and put the money that you would have spend on a big party into the childs savings account instead. But don't go asking people to donate!