How do i choose a Hospital??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

missussunshine Posts: 513
Hi ladies :wv literally just found out today im pregnant and dont know where to start, my doctor wasnt much help and told me to pick a hospital so really dont know whether to go to the Coombe, Holles Street or the Rotunda. We would live nearest to the Rotunda but i dont know whether thats the most important thing? any advice would be appreciated as to what i should base it on... Totally clueless :innocent:
Febmummy Posts: 429
Massive Congrat's!!!!!! Choosing your hospital is definitely a personal choice, why not ring your health insurance group and see what you are entitled to with your scheme? They don't vary greatly but this might give you more idea's :) Wishing you a happy and healthy 9 months :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll
Ah thanks, thats lovely. Im so chuffed and feel very lucky, :o)ll :o)ll we were blessed first time. Ill do that tomorrow so but think im entitled to Semi-Private wherever. Its so hard cos its such early days i cant go asking everybody what they're experiences of Hospitals are.
pag Posts: 633
If you live nearest to the Rotunda would you be in the catchment area for the Domino scheme. Or would you be in Swords/Coolock/Blanchardstown areas where you could attend the midwives clinics. You would have booking in visit in the hospital with scan; then main 20wk(ish) scan in hospital but all other appts would be in health centres with midwives. If you are low risk it's worth considering - have no underlying illnesses. There are usually very short waiting times in the clinics and very personal (i found anyway). Also if you are in certain areas you can avail of early transfer home with Rotunda where you can leave 6-hours after birth (if you want) and then a midwife will visit you at home for up to 10days. It's brilliant service and so one-to-one that you can ask all the questions you need to. Have a look at the maternity info pack which will give you more details on the services available in the Rotunda.
Thanks for the advice girls, went with the Coombe in the end, cant wait for my first appointment :o)ll
Hoping2011 Posts: 176
Oh huge congrats Missusunshine, can I ask how come you chose the Coombe, I like you live closest to Rotunda but am very unsure and have to decide this week before I meet GP I presume. My sister went to the Coombe and had all good to say about it, but it doesn't really suit location wise for me. Best of luck and happy, healthy 9 months to you !!
Hey Hoping2011...Congratulations yourself :o)ll To be honest it was because one of my friends had her little girl there recently and raved about it. It was much of a muchness distance wise with the Rotunda and The Coombe but the Coombe is much nearer work if i have to slip out for appointments or anything... Its handy it has parking too as stupid as that sounds!! Frankly, ive had this chat with loadsa people and the attitude i got was that you will get good care wherever you go so its down to personal choice. I didnt need to know when i went to the G.P cos he really only gave me the referral letter that i have to give to the Hospital on my first visit, i had to contact the Hospital and that myself so dont feel under pressure. Sorry im not more help, good luck with your decision and best of luck with your pregnancy :wv :)
Hi Missussunshine, thanks a million for that !! Yeh it's great when you hear people who have been and can't say enough good things about the hospital. I chose the Rotunda this morn, I called my GP, well had no GP but the one I've chosen and she is on leave until next week so still need to have pregnancy confirmed. However, I decided to contact the hospital myself and got booked in for early January, when I will be 12 weeks so I was quiet please with that. It's the semi private clinic but am still a bit unsure as to whether or not go sp, as reading back tru lots of posts here, some have said it's a waste of money and I would really love to do the domini care that pag spoke about earlier on this topic, there's benefits for both but I luv the idea of an early release, but thne again come the time, I may want to stay !! Hope you're feeling well and thanks for advise....
Yaay, congrats thats great. I only went SP too cos my healthcare covers it really. I know what you mean about the early release but frankly im thinking ill be glad of any help i get in the hospital so mightnt be totally mad to get out. I'm thinking i can get all adventerous on my second, fingers crossed :o0 My appointment is for the 12 week mark too and cant wait to go, two days before christmas so i can tell everyone then :o)ll . Absolute best of luck with everything Hoping 2011
Yep me too, thought I may as well get some use out of the health insurance !! Oh really what a great time to have your scan. Thanks a million, and the same to you, happy planning !! :o)ll