How do I word this?- Yet another children post

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

westie Posts: 88
Hi all, This must be one of the most written about topics on WOL... there deffinately should be a sticky on the topic! I have no issue with the children (25 of them!!!!!) coming, but I have arranged a babysitter to feed the children in the restaurant 1/2 hour before the adult meal, then they stay in the play room until after the speeches when they rejoin the adults. Im writing my invites now and want to pop a fore-warner to the parents in it, that this is the way it is and to tell me what they eat. 25 is much too many children to be running around the function room while the staff are serving food, also my tables are long tables of 22, so no where to put high-chairs and pushchairs. What would you write in the invitation insert? I was thinking 'Due to the confined nature of the function room, under 10s will be served 1/2 hour before meal and entertained by trained staff...' Any inspiration? Sorry for the essay
Mrs plaza Posts: 3031
[quote:mepjoncg] have no issue with the children (25 of them!!!!!) coming, but I have arranged a babysitter to feed the children in the restaurant 1/2 hour before the adult meal, then they stay in the play room until after the speeches when they rejoin the adults.[/quote:mepjoncg] westie , i don't want to ruin your plans , but thats might not work out kids are not like pets , u cannot just throw them in to a playroom and not expect them to not come back to parents during the meal. A Some families might wants to have their ids with them during the meal and not running riot in a playroom. If your talking about 1/2 before and then the time for adult meal and speeches , this could be 2 hrs in a playroom you say there is no room for pushchairs/ buggies , but a high chair takes up no more room than a normal chair at a table Its seems to be an awful lot of hassle to arrange a "kids party" within a wedding , why not have them at the tables and request that the parents keep control on the kids during the meal ( get the best man to do the dirty work on the day " ladies and gentlemen, please keep your children seated for the duration of the meal please due to the hot food and waitresses etc " !!!!) just my opinion/ ten cents worth :wv
westie Posts: 88
[quote="Mersey":2qf7yghr][quote:2qf7yghr] have no issue with the children (25 of them!!!!!) coming, but I have arranged a babysitter to feed the children in the restaurant 1/2 hour before the adult meal, then they stay in the play room until after the speeches when they rejoin the adults.[/quote:2qf7yghr] westie , i don't want to ruin your plans , but thats might not work out kids are not like pets , u cannot just throw them in to a playroom and not expect them to not come back to parents during the meal. A Some families might wants to have their ids with them during the meal and not running riot in a playroom. If your talking about 1/2 before and then the time for adult meal and speeches , this could be 2 hrs in a playroom you say there is no room for pushchairs/ buggies , but a high chair takes up no more room than a normal chair at a table Its seems to be an awful lot of hassle to arrange a "kids party" within a wedding , why not have them at the tables and request that the parents keep control on the kids during the meal ( get the best man to do the dirty work on the day " ladies and gentlemen, please keep your children seated for the duration of the meal please due to the hot food and waitresses etc " !!!!) just my opinion/ ten cents worth :wv[/quote:2qf7yghr] A slightly patronising post as I am a mother myself Mersey. I know what I am taking on here. Parents are free to spend the whole time in the room with their children if they wish.
stockbroking bride Posts: 2642
Westie we had a seperate area for the kids (only 7 of them hubbies nieces and nephews) and it worked out wonderfully. I'd include the details on the seperate sheet where you have accomodation details etc. just do two versions one for with kids one for without. Suggest something like the following - "For our younger guests we have arranged a special meal and entertainment during the adult dinner reception. Children will be fed and cared for in the xx room from 6.00pm to 8.30pm. Following the speaches kids will be free to rejoin their parents for a boogie on the dancefloor." Then reinforce it with word of mouth. SBB
WilmaFlintstone Posts: 1318
This might be a really silly idea but could you use the insert as a kids invitation?? with time of dinner, food served etc. They might feel more involved - like they're going to their own party (and not kicked out away from the adults) Sorry if it's crazy - I have no kids - just thought it might be cute - like a mini reception :-8
spanishbride08 Posts: 413
Phrase it like it's a "special treat" for the children that a seperate party will be organised for them so they won't be "bored" during the adults meal ... make it out like you are doing this all for them, not to save yourself a headache! :o0
Cork_girl Posts: 525
[quote="Beachy":t7hmb6g7]This might be a really silly idea but could you use the insert as a kids invitation?? with time of dinner, food served etc. They might feel more involved - like they're going to their own party (and not kicked out away from the adults) Sorry if it's crazy - I have no kids - just thought it might be cute - like a mini reception :-8[/quote:t7hmb6g7] I have no kids either but I think that's a fab idea Beachy, get the kids all excited about it, and then you won't have parents trying to change things on the day as the kids will kick up holy murder if they try to take them away from THEIR party!! :o0 :o0
loveheart Posts: 686
Gees Westie sounds as if you have put in a lot of effor tin planning. I think it would be a good idea but maybe put something in that parents can go in to check with their children at any time!
Mrs plaza Posts: 3031
[quote:3uiqfzbl]estie New Wolly Joined: 13 Jun 2007 Posts: 79 New postPosted: 24 Aug 2007 11:11 Post subject: Reply with quote Mersey wrote: Quote: have no issue with the children (25 of them!!!!!) coming, but I have arranged a babysitter to feed the children in the restaurant 1/2 hour before the adult meal, then they stay in the play room until after the speeches when they rejoin the adults. westie , i don't want to ruin your plans , but thats might not work out kids are not like pets , u cannot just throw them in to a playroom and not expect them to not come back to parents during the meal. A Some families might wants to have their ids with them during the meal and not running riot in a playroom. If your talking about 1/2 before and then the time for adult meal and speeches , this could be 2 hrs in a playroom you say there is no room for pushchairs/ buggies , but a high chair takes up no more room than a normal chair at a table Its seems to be an awful lot of hassle to arrange a "kids party" within a wedding , why not have them at the tables and request that the parents keep control on the kids during the meal ( get the best man to do the dirty work on the day " ladies and gentlemen, please keep your children seated for the duration of the meal please due to the hot food and waitresses etc " !!!!) [b:3uiqfzbl]just my opinion/[/b:3uiqfzbl] ten cents worth Wave A slightly patronising post as I am a mother myself Mersey. I know what I am taking on here. Parents are free to spend the whole time in the room with their children if they wish.[/quote:3uiqfzbl] westie it did come across patronising (after re reading) sorry , that was not my intention But just a personal opinion
mrs bmw Posts: 6447
I will be facing a smiliar situation Westie but my main concern is the church, we are having a buffet so I am not that worried about what the kids do at the meal. However, when it comes to saying my vows in the church I will be very strict. If a child starts to cry during the ceremony or starts acting up im sorry but they will have to be taken out by a parent. I am making a vow to my husband, I only plan on doing this once in my life so therefore I do not want the memory of it being tainted with a crying child in the backround. There is no way to put it down on paper so I will just have to visit the parents of the children that are coming, at present I can only think of 2 couples that will have a young child with them, they know my feelings on children and I have always said what the rules would be on the church infront of them so I really don't think it will be an issue. Hopefully! And sure if it is well then tought they will just have to get over it! My day, my rules and when i'm paying for you dinner you do as I say!!!