How do you find out if babyseat will fit car?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

doolittle Posts: 910
Hi ive a freelander and Im getting a second hand buggy and car seat etc off aSIL but how do I find out online if it will fit properly? Ive heard of people doing searches online but I cant seem to find it O:|
mac tavish Posts: 296
hi i would go to tony kealys and get it fitted. you can see if they have the same seat and ask them to see if it fits. i was over there last week just looking at buggies cos i have a smallish car and wanted to see what our options are and the girl brought out 3 or 4 buggies and seats to see if they fit. they were great in there she knew we were not buying yet but didnt mind at all. you should really check it out though as all cars are different and i was very surprised at the amount of seats that would not fit.
montblanc Posts: 385
I have a small car too and hard time getting a seat that would fit. But a freelander should probably mean you can probably use most car seats? Definately go somewhere, find the same car seat and get it checked out. Some websites on-line said certain seats would fit my car but the shop where I went tried them out and they weren't suitable!
OAT Posts: 2207
When I was pregnant and shopping for buggies/car seats every shop I went into told me you have to get the car seat that fits your car blah blah blah - went into both Mothercare and Smyths and was told that VERY car seats fit EVERY car, I thought as much so purchased the car seat I wanted and it fit into my car, H2B's car, My sisters, My Dad's, My Mum's, and basically any car I was travelling in...
mac tavish Posts: 296
well i was there when the girl was fitting the seats into my car and they all most definetly did not fit. some cars have shorter seatbelts in the back,i doubt it would be a problem in a freelander but its a pretty important thing to get right in my eyes and worth taking a bit of time over. go to tony kealys and pick up the free dvd on car safety if you are passing.
OAT Posts: 2207
[quote="mac tavish":zwd1n2zc]well i was there when the girl was fitting the seats into my car and they all most definetly did not fit. some cars have shorter seatbelts in the back,i doubt it would be a problem in a freelander but its a pretty important thing to get right in my eyes and worth taking a bit of time over. go to tony kealys and pick up the free dvd on car safety if you are passing.[/quote:zwd1n2zc] Luckily I obviously purchased a really good car seat that was made to generally fit all sorts of cars
Avril Hiswife Posts: 1743
you already know what kind of car seat it is so just go to the manufacturer's website. Everytime I've looked one up online, you can enter the age of the baby/child you are checking the fit for and your vehicle type, then it tells you which of their seats are suitable for that car. You can usually then check safe seating positions for your car. If we think this is a PITA, imagine trying to fit three together across the back of a car!
chicam Posts: 1169
There's very few infant car seats that don't fit cars tbh, but generally when you're buying one just get the shop to try it out in your car first, that's what we did.