How do you know?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

purple Posts: 108
Hi all, It's been a looooonnnnggg time since I posted last. About a year I'd say. Wedding day seems like a lifetime away. And now I find myself on the Pregnancy and Baby board! My question is: how do you know you are ready for a baby? I THINK that I would like one and hubby definitely wants one. I get very emotional thinking about kids and families. I even cried watching Ice Age 2 - the shame of it! I think I'm "nesting" at the moment. The house has never looked so good. I have a stepdaughter who I see every few weeks and she is the light of my life. Even she wants a baby brother or sister. Oh and I'm also dreaming about pregnancy constantly. Last night I dreamt my single sister got pregnant before me and I was livid! But I don't seem to have got to the stage where I'm planning for a baby and am afraid that I will look back one day and realise I "forgot" to have a baby. As Whitney Houston once said: How will I know?
Mrs Peg Posts: 1778
It sounds like you're half way there purple!! Honestly, i think once you decide you're both in agreement, it won't be long until you bite the bullet! You'll probably always have the niggling little doubts in your head (is it the right time? have we travelled enough? etc.) but the overall urge will take over....natures way of ensuring life goes on! So my advice would be not to worry about it too much, let nature take it's course and when the time is right, you'll just know.....
purple Posts: 108
Thanks Mrs. Peg. I am worried about my job, further studies and travel (I'm 30) but there seems to be a bigger force tugging at me to have a baby. I am thinking of coming off the pill and letting good ol' nature take its course. The reason I posted last night is that I had some pregnancy symptoms (frequent urination, naseau, cramps etc) and took a test. I felt like I had entered into a new phase in my life buying that test! For the last few weeks I can't seem to remember to take my pill on time and was very late one particularly wicked weekend! Anyway it was a BFN. I was more disappointed than I thought and actually fished the test out of the bin about 10 minutes after getting the result in case I made a mistake. (I'm definitely losing the plot!)
snozberry Posts: 1212
if you and hubby both are happy to try - then go for it! there is always the fear of the unknown but I think you are right... come off the pill, take the folic acid tablets and see what happens!! best of luck.... I have two beautiful girls now and wouldnt change a thing!! :D
yadayada Posts: 1066
[quote:gxgz5ct1] Anyway it was a BFN. I was more disappointed than I thought and actually fished the test out of the bin about 10 minutes after getting the result in case I made a mistake. (I'm definitely losing the plot!)[/quote:gxgz5ct1] No your not losing the plot...sounds to me like your ready. If you weren't then you'd be relieved it was a BFN.
Mama Dora Posts: 14987
That same question is in my mind all the time now too purple and the problem "but's" keep coming into it.I am a real planner and what I plan my head about decisions and the right time is what I want to follow but I know it doesn't always work that way. It's such a huge decision and a scary one at that...we are very broody lately...babies are everywhere :lol:
Hawaii50 Posts: 89
Hi lads In the exact same position. Came off the pill at Christmas mainly because my hubby wanted us to start trying but kind of had doubts in the back of my mind. Fast forward to April and I was a couple of days late and did a test. Got a BFN and was so disappointed. I think thats when I knew that this was something that I really wanted...........
jellybaby Posts: 2316
Go for it!! There will always be something else going on in your life that will make you think it's not the right time. We had decided before the wedding (last August) that we wanted kids sooner rather than later, but because hubbie is still doing a course, which finishes this July, we were going to wait til then to start trying. Well we both got fed up of waiting, and just went ahead and tried anyway, and got our bfp not long afterwards!
tasket Posts: 306
Hi purple, For us it was a scare that decided it...we'd been talking about it and thinking "maybe, maybe not" but then i had a little scare in Sept, felt terrified but then we were both so disappointed when it was a BFN! That really made up our minds, we decided to start really ttc the next month. It felt to me like it just sort of crept up, we always knew we wanted kids but never right away and then all of a sudden we were thinking about it a lot more, staring at kids in the supermarket, etc...all of a sudden it doesn't seem like such a mad idea anymore. :D Best of luck with your decision!
Lucy D Posts: 91
Hi purple I think go for as long as you are both in agreement, I mean if you really sat down and thought about it nobady would ever do given time, expense etc. I am pregnant with our 1st child and can't wait and I would be the most unmaternal person in the world! :wink: Everyone has doubts I mean when we were trying and I took a home preg test I was in shock :shock: couldn't believe it was real took it a week later to make sure! and had a couple of wobbly moments after that but I mean really who doesn't so GO FOR IT!. Best of luck.