How do you react?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Urban Fairy Posts: 3987
..when someone doesnt like the name you chose for your unborn baby? This was meant to be a poll but it was too hard to come up with choices. We're down to 3 names, 2 for a girl, 1 for a boy. We're happy with them. I take a bit of exception when someone asks me what names we've picked, and then said they dont like them. Its a different ball game if we say 'what do you think of that name' and they answer honestly (and they dont like it). Most people have said they are lovely names (Lily, Tara and Jack), but I've had 3 'mmmeh, dont like em' from people. I dont really how one is suppose to react to that. I just smile and shrug it off really. How do you deal with it? Do you worry and then start thinking of other names. I know our names are extremely popular but we dont mind, but I know they might just not like the name, regardless of popularity. What ever happend to 'if you've nothing good to say dont say it'.
tribesdoll Posts: 295
I think people can be so rude - if someone asked me what I thought of a name for their baby, I would say it's beautiful no matter what I thought. I suppose it's what you want from them - do you want an honest opinion (sounds like your decision is made)? Or are you just telling them because they ask? I'm not telling anyone what's on our list for names, because I don't think it's anyone else's business, and like that I couldn't be coping with people's reaction. I foolishly told my neighbour a couple of our names when she had a few glasses of wine in her, and she started dying laughing at our choices. I'm just not putting myself out there for that kind of a reaction anymore. I'm emotional enough with the hormones as it is! As an aside, I think that people think that you become public property when you get pregnant in terms of thinking that they can say anything to you - e.g. "you're massive/tiny/shouldn't be doing that/should be buying this" blah blah blah. One of the downsides to being pregnant. That and the heartburn. I wouldn't change my choices for names based on what other people think - I'm the one that'll be roaring it down the street in a few years time, so I'm the one that should like it!
Daff Posts: 11644
I told one person our name choices very early on with DD and they didn't like it - we decided not to tell a soul after that. No one would dare say they didn't like it after the baby was born!
mommylicious Posts: 836
I never tell anyone our name picks. People just don't think when they open their mouth, am guilty of doing it myself. So if people ask we give them lists of names but never serious ones. As op said nobody would ever say they didn't like a name after the baby has been born.
DaisyB Posts: 1708
i havent really told anyone...i speak about it with my mam and one of my friends who is also pregnant but anyone that asks i say no we havent picked any.. i used to tell people when i was preg with Ds and i found people dont care what they say to you about your name choices..i even got ''thats a rotten name, i hate that name'' mind you that was from the MIL :o0 she has asked a few times this time around have i any names and i say ''no!!!!!!!!!!'' :o0
DaisyB Posts: 1708
oh and sorry just to answer your question... no it doesnt put me off my names when people say they dont like them..the way i look at it.. it would be a very boring world if we all had just liked ther same names everyone has their own personal choices! :wv oh and i LOVE Tara :o0 im biased though!!!
goinloco Posts: 774
[quote="tribesdoll":3mmcifgs]I think people can be so rude - if someone asked me what I thought of a name for their baby, I would say it's beautiful no matter what I thought. I suppose it's what you want from them - do you want an honest opinion (sounds like your decision is made)? Or are you just telling them because they ask? I'm not telling anyone what's on our list for names, because I don't think it's anyone else's business, and like that I couldn't be coping with people's reaction. I foolishly told my neighbour a couple of our names when she had a few glasses of wine in her, and she started dying laughing at our choices. I'm just not putting myself out there for that kind of a reaction anymore. I'm emotional enough with the hormones as it is! As an aside, I think that people think that you become public property when you get pregnant in terms of thinking that they can say anything to you - e.g. "you're massive/tiny/shouldn't be doing that/should be buying this" blah blah blah. One of the downsides to being pregnant. That and the heartburn. I wouldn't change my choices for names based on what other people think - I'm the one that'll be roaring it down the street in a few years time, so I'm the one that should like it![/quote:3mmcifgs] i agree with all this!
Momof2 Posts: 3884
alot of people weren't keen on DS's name and I know alot of people are unsure of DD's potential name but the way i look at it they're names I love, for my children who I love and people get used to them name in time. Oh and just to add I love your names UF :o)ll
Dill Posts: 1640
Its no one elses business bar you're own.. people are so rude sometimes! I certainly woudlnt change your mind cos someone doesnt like it. After having that reaction from SIL when pg on number 1 I try not to tell people.. no one is going to tell you they dont like the name once the baby is born!
ructions Posts: 2689
I won't be telling anyone which names we are thinking of. Not a soul, not even my best friend or sister. People have very different opinions when it comes to names. Some love traditional names, some love Irish names, some love modern, abbreviated names. Some really, really don't like them! I don't want to get a bad reaction from anyone because it would take the shine off a name for me. So we'll be telling everyone we "haven't decided on names yet"! I've come to the realisation that people are just thick sometimes. They just have to comment on the size of your bump, what sex they think your baby is, why you should/should not find out the sex at a scan, question your choice of maternity care... the list goes on. It's like wedding planning, the less people know the better!