Menu

How easy is it to

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

LuckyYear2013 Posts: 3972
learn a new language if you were living in the country? I'm brutal at languages, always was - but wondering if I was living in a different speaking country, would it be easier to pick up?
bridenl Posts: 454
definitely living in the country where the language is spoken 24/7 is much easier! I have managed to learn the language here (not perfect mind you), would recommend going to school in whatever country your thinking about to learn it quicker HTH
PrettyWoman Posts: 1233
Yes it is much easier if you live in the country because you actually have to speak it. I lived in spain for over 6 months and really picked it up. I also tried french by classes/cd but it was much more difficult. I found when I was living in Spain, the locals would try to help me out with my pronounciation (sp). They would always correct me. But if you were doing it all by yourself you have no-one to do that. I find I can read French better than I can actually speak it. But I can speak spanish better than I can read it
GreenerPastures Posts: 7284
I'd imagine it's easier when you are in another country and immersed in the language and culture. It definitely helps to enroll in a course though to help along. My cousin has moved to Zurich with her DH and three children and the children find it much easier as they are in school' and children are sponges when it comes to knowledge and languages. My cousin is trying to get into a course aswell. It helps in feeling more integrated into the new country when you can speak the native tongue.
Looks like I might have to go away to Italy with work for a few months - so doubt I'd be able to do a course or college as well as the work. Don't have a word of Italian though
PrettyWoman Posts: 1233
[quote="LiveLaughLove":2qc621oh]Looks like I might have to go away to Italy with work for a few months - so doubt I'd be able to do a course or college as well as the work. Don't have a word of Italian though[/quote:2qc621oh] Oh lucky you!! How exciting. Get yourself some translation books and also one of those CD's that you can listen to. All you will need is the basics. Are you going to a "touristy" part of Italy? You will be fine then because most will already speak English but I think its nice to "try" and speak their language, even though they probably want you to speak English so that they can understand you!
[quote="PrettyWoman":2v5pz4ik][quote="LiveLaughLove":2v5pz4ik]Looks like I might have to go away to Italy with work for a few months - so doubt I'd be able to do a course or college as well as the work. Don't have a word of Italian though[/quote:2v5pz4ik] Oh lucky you!! How exciting. Get yourself some translation books and also one of those CD's that you can listen to. All you will need is the basics. Are you going to a "touristy" part of Italy? You will be fine then because most will already speak English but I think its nice to "try" and speak their language, even though they probably want you to speak English so that they can understand you![/quote:2v5pz4ik] kind of nervous about it though - will be so strange. Up near Milan, so I guess it's tourist area. Will defo have to get a book and cd
cabbagehead Posts: 3899
Hey LLL, Congrats on the super opportunity! I've done it twice myself (Germany and France) and while it's really scary at first it is so utterly totally worth it, you will be thrilled you did it. And MILAN - oooohhhh you lucky thing! The food! The fashion! The architecture!! It's definitely easier to learn a language when you're surrounded by it, especially if you make the effort to get out there and mix with the people in the local area. Join a club or a sporting activity or something. Try and stay away from expat communities if you can, because it's easy to fall into just speaking English all the time. Would your employer pay for some lessons for you? I did an intensive course with Berlitz last year to learn Dutch. I can't say I'm fluent or anything, but I was starting to deal with customers in the Netherlands and told my company that I'd like to be at least able to "pass myself" with them, out of politeness. I was able to do a one-week course in Antwerp. It's exhausting, but I find that method of "total immersion" really works. The best of luck - or In Boca Al Lupo as your new Italian friends will be saying!
[quote="cabbagehead":lvqcw2ml]Hey LLL, Congrats on the super opportunity! I've done it twice myself (Germany and France) and while it's really scary at first it is so utterly totally worth it, you will be thrilled you did it. And MILAN - oooohhhh you lucky thing! The food! The fashion! The architecture!! It's definitely easier to learn a language when you're surrounded by it, especially if you make the effort to get out there and mix with the people in the local area. Join a club or a sporting activity or something. Try and stay away from expat communities if you can, because it's easy to fall into just speaking English all the time. Would your employer pay for some lessons for you? I did an intensive course with Berlitz last year to learn Dutch. I can't say I'm fluent or anything, but I was starting to deal with customers in the Netherlands and told my company that I'd like to be at least able to "pass myself" with them, out of politeness. I was able to do a one-week course in Antwerp. It's exhausting, but I find that method of "total immersion" really works. The best of luck - or In Boca Al Lupo as your new Italian friends will be saying![/quote:lvqcw2ml] Thanks Cabbagehead I'll prob end up putting on about 2 stone while I'm over there with the food Don't have a word, so will defo need to do something alright - will look into here - thanks for the advice
MrsAH Posts: 3715
I recently did an Italian language course. I found it great, we were in Italy last month and it was great being able to speak. I did a 10 week beginners class. Now, I can speak Spanish very well so Italian wasn't too much of a stretch for me. I would try and do a course, and supplement that with the audio disks and the like. Next up, Japanese for our honeymoon!