How eco friendly are you?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mrs bmw Posts: 6447
Do you recycle much? I am in charge of our green team in work and it's shocking how many people find it hard to put the right thing in the right bin, these are people with degrees in finance O:| O:| O:| What do you do in your household to be green?
SilverGirl Posts: 1517
I do my bit by recycling everything that can be recycled! It amazes me in work as well how people cant put the right things in the right bins :eek
mrs bmw Posts: 6447
[quote="EmmieLou":3s9rfr9v]I do my bit by recycling everything that can be recycled! It amazes me in work as well how people cant put the right things in the right bins :eek[/quote:3s9rfr9v] I know it's not bloody rocket science O:| purple bag - food waste, clear bag - recyclable waste. It does my nut in, I hate when you are passionate about something and people just show so little respect for something that will actually benefit them O:| O:|
SilverGirl Posts: 1517
I hear ya! My H2B didnt even know what recycling was til I met him and now he's nearly as good as me :o0 :o0
ohsotired Posts: 7071
Everything that can go in the green bin goes into the green bin in our house! H2B bought a new bin last week for upstairs specifically for recycling - he gave out to me for putting tissue in the regular bin earlier - I have to go into the spare room to use the recycling bin in future! :o0 We use the energy saving lightbulbs, bring all bottles to the bottle bank, minimise the amount of washes we do for clothes & try to keep the amount of water we use to a minimum - i.e. don't leave the tap running for no good reason etc. I suppose we do a good bit but no doubt we could be doing more! As Tesco says though, every little helps!!!! :o0
w.w.wonder Posts: 297
H2B is super eco-friendly to the point of annoyance, green bin, brown bin, compost bin, bottle bank, polystyrene to power city, regular trips to local recycle centre, old clothes into floor clothes, energy saving light bulbs, night saver electricity (don't get this one apart from cost), all electric switches apart from fridge off at night and when away etc etc etc. I know its the right thing to do, and it saves money but had friends staying from overseas last week and had to warn them about the recycling bins (3 bins in the kitchen - two large bins with 2 compartments each and a brown bin-5 really I suppose) It was funny having everyone ask what bin does this go in until I realised that the dad was putting rubbish (sweet wrappers) in his pockets cos he didn't know which bin to put them in
MeSB Posts: 3785
oh and he has a solar charger for his phone (not very good) and wind up torches
MeSB Posts: 3785
yes, I suppose so, but not with the amount of computer/electronic/latest gadget he has plugged in when awake. Do save a huge amount by not having to put the black bin out. It goes out once every couple of months. Before anyone asks, no it doesn't smell cos there's nothing in it. It does get annoying when you're doing the washing up and you have to wash the plastic that the mince is wrapped in so that the plastic is clean and can go in the green bin and the polyestyrene is clean to be reused for watering his plants or some other such reuse (there's a stack under the sink if anyone wants some)