How far in advance can you do a test?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

WifeZilla Posts: 1222
Just wondering how far in advance you can do a preggers test? My period isn't due until the 17th of Sept or so, so i'm not sure. We didn't use condoms a week ago and i'm on the mini pill. Rang the VHI nurse who told me the mini pill isn't effected by condoms, so i'm probably grand..just parnoid. I'm supposed to have an x-ray on Thurs aswell, so i'm a bit worried in case i was. If i could do a test now it'd be great as at least i'd know.
bellabella Posts: 2750
Oh Bridey i think that a blood test would only be able to confirm a pregnancy at this point.
Sart Posts: 441
bridey they say 54% of positive tests will show at 4 days before AF. But some women(Esp those acrrying twins) have gotten a positive at 8dop. How many dpo are you?
Eh what's dpo? All I know is that i got my period on the 21st of August....a week later had rumpy pumpy..my period is due on the 17th or 18th and i guess i must be ovulating now..
jellybaby Posts: 2316
[quote:2by1tvy7]Eh what's dpo?[/quote:2by1tvy7] DPO is 'days past/post ovulation'. If you think you're only ovulating now (and chances are, you could be only OVing now), then you're probably ok. If you're not due til 17th Sept, I wouldn't think you could test until around the 14th anyway.
grumpy Posts: 1280
Do you still ovulate on mini-pill? I assumed all of them stop you ovulating :? If so, why are you worried? Is there some other reason you think you may have ovulated, like illness or antibiotics or forgotten pill?
I had taken antibiotics 2 weeks before i did it without a condom, so that's kinda why i was worrying. Just think i'm being paranoid 'cos my boobs were sore this morning but then again, most periods they get sore too...
grumpy Posts: 1280
Ah, I see. I totally understand your concern! Two weeks before is a long time though, so I really don't think you've anything to worry about - as far as I know, you just need to keep using condoms for 7 days after you finish taking the antibiotics, so you'll be grand!