How far would you go for €10 million

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

televisionhead Posts: 92
Lotto ad got me thinking... What would you do for that much money? Would you sleep with someone or allow your partner / husband to sleep with someone? Would you lose a limb or a finger? Never see your family again?
Babyboomerang Posts: 543
That's an interesting question... I guess 10 million is a decent amount of money but in this day and age it's not exactly life changing. Yeah, you'd have a nice house and car etc but you couldn't give up working for the rest of your life or anything. So in a round about way, I'm trying to say that I wouldn't be prepared to do anything that would have a longer effect than the money i.e. ruin a relationship or lose a limb.
Kaycee Posts: 2107
you couldn't give up work if you had €10mil?
FlexyDee Posts: 4904
I was thinking the same thing Kaycee. You would be able to live off the interest week to week!
CalamityJane Posts: 783
[quote="Babyboomerang":2mkkl65x]That's an interesting question... I guess 10 million is a decent amount of money but in this day and age it's not exactly life changing. Yeah, you'd have a nice house and car etc but you couldn't give up working for the rest of your life or anything. So in a round about way, I'm trying to say that I wouldn't be prepared to do anything that would have a longer effect than the money i.e. ruin a relationship or lose a limb.[/quote:2mkkl65x] Ah, of course it's life-changing. You'd have a nice house and car and MILLIONS left over!! A million on its own mightn't be life changing to some people, but ten times that amount certainly is. I'd do anything for €10 million (especially given my current (non) financial status). Not sure I'd let my dh do the same though >:o)
Shopgirl 1 Posts: 660
€10 million would be totally life changing unless you were already very very wealthy. If you earn the average wage in this country you will not even earn a 5th of that in your lifetime. If you are a high earner on say €100K a year you still won't even earn half that amount. It would totally change most people's lives.
ReginaFalange Posts: 10290
[quote="Babyboomerang":2g73voev]That's an interesting question... I guess 10 million is a decent amount of money but in this day and age it's not exactly life changing. Yeah, you'd have a nice house and car etc but you couldn't give up working for the rest of your life or anything. So in a round about way, I'm trying to say that I wouldn't be prepared to do anything that would have a longer effect than the money i.e. ruin a relationship or lose a limb.[/quote:2g73voev] How much money do you make?? I certainly won't be making anything like 10 million in my working life so damn straight I'd be giving up work if I won 10 million. Not sure what I'd do for it though....nothing that I couldn't live with anyway. No point in having money if you can't live with yourself afterwards.
I Dream in Disney Posts: 1592
[quote="Columbo1":14ae2k5u]y. No point in having money if you can't live with yourself afterwards.[/quote:14ae2k5u] Exactly, I don't think I would do anything much tbh. I don't think you get that sort of money for a peck on the cheek and that's probably as far as I would go or would allow my man to go! I definitely couldn't cut myself off from my family or friends, and never from him. I just don't think money is worth as much to me as my life is.
televisionhead Posts: 92
(I have no job at the moment but if I did) I would hand my notice in that fast that they would not have the last number called on the lotto. There is nothing major springs to my mind that I would buy if I did win it - I have a three year old car (which is new to me considering all my cars have been about 10 years old), I have a home - but I would pay my bills of course with it. The only thing I want to do is bring the kids to Disneyland Paris - that would be the first thing I would do. And I would buy each of my brothers and sister a home and make sure my parents were looked after to the very last. And the same for my DH's family. Theres a few places very close to my heart that I would give money to. And then I would hope to return to normal. The security of having that much money must be great in one way, but I would be worried for my kids - fear of kidnapping or in case I would go mad and turn them into spoiled-Nathan off Emmerdale-brats. The way I see it is if I ever win that much it would be great. If I don't, well I am no better or worse off. But I would never, ever do anything to put my family, marriage at risk. Although someday I am penniless I might change my tune!
CalamityJane Posts: 783
[quote="mrssmith2be":1f0kuuos][quote="Columbo1":1f0kuuos]y. No point in having money if you can't live with yourself afterwards.[/quote:1f0kuuos] Exactly, I don't think I would do anything much tbh. I don't think you get that sort of money for a peck on the cheek and that's probably as far as I would go or would allow my man to go! I definitely couldn't cut myself off from my family or friends, and never from him. I just don't think money is worth as much to me as my life is.[/quote:1f0kuuos] You see, I think it depends on how bad your personal financial situation is. If you're having sleepless nights over bills etc, I think a lot of people would consider doing anything for money which would solve all their problems, but if you're one of the lucky people who always has money in your account, then a few million would just be a happy bonus. I'm the former and at this stage of my life (ashamedly), if I could get away with it, I'd do anything for €10 million. Anything legal that is. That's never going to happen though and is easy to say in theory, but in practice, would I do it? I don't know. Anyone remember that film with Demi Moore and Woody Harrelson - what was it called? That was a great film at the time. A difficult decision that had detrimental consequences. Ah well... My only hope really is the lotto. Was won in Dublin tonight apparently. Wasn't me though :weep