Menu

How long after coming off the pill did you get a BFP

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

DollyDay Posts: 23
We are plannign to start TTC straight after the wedding next year. I wondering if I should come off the pill a few months ahead of that. My doc said you have a higher chance of getting a BFP in the first month off the pill but that sounded a bit strage to me. I would have thought that you would have to get the hormones out of your system first. I feel so clueless at the moment.
wedjul05 Posts: 5673
hey dolly, I would defo recommend coming off the pill now. Yes I believe it is true that you are very fertile the month or so after stopping it, my SIL got pg that month! We used extra protection in the first few mnths as we were not ready to get pg! In hindsight, I should have come off the pill ages before we started trying. You can use some other form of protection in the meantime. It can take your cycles to come back to some kind of normailty after being on the pill, esp if you have been on it a long time. HTH :wv
under construction Posts: 3458
I came off the pill 5 months before we started to ttc, we had a big holiday planned so wanted to wait till after that to start, so just were extra careful for those 5 months. So i just watched for signs of ovulation over those 5 months and let my AF get back to normal (well never really was normal for me - got from 38 days down to 32 days in those 5 months) And on our first month ttc we got our BFP (i know we were extremely lucky) but i do think it was because i had watched for ovulation over 5 months and knew roughly when it was. Just want to wish you all the best and hope you are not ttc too long. Have a wonderful wedding too.
mama2E Posts: 670
I came off the pill on honeymoon and just used condoms until we were ready to try. Got pregnant First time with out protection (7 months after wedding)!!!!!! Having said that everyone's different. I think over all its good to give our bodies a break from the pill. Enjoy trying when you get round to it! O-O
missi moo moo Posts: 1700
I'm not getting married until next year but came off the pill in January. My doctor advised that it would give my body a chance to find its own rhythm and also I would have a better idea of dates etc. I'm an avid lurker on ttc and I have to say I really didn't know my body or what it was like to have a normal period as I'd been on the pill for 12 years, or what's involved in ttc until I read the details on the forum. Personally I feel that when the time comes to start ttc I'll have a good idea of my cycle which will hopefully help.
honeymoonbaby Posts: 896
Hi, I got pregnant the first month I came off the pill. I came off the pill two weeks before our wedding and if my scan dates are correct then I conceived 9 days later. My doctor advised me not to come off the pill until I wanted to get pregnant. However my sister was off the pill for six months before she got pregnant. So as with all of these things it is down to the individual I am afraid there are no hard and fast rules. The pill can seemingly have two effects on your cycle one that makes you very fertile TG that is what happened to me as I had been told that I would need help tp get pregnant, or it can make you less fertile. So maybe come off the pill just before your wedding and enjoy your honeymoon and see what happens you might conceive without having to work out your cycle. Enjoy the wedding.
Betsy May Posts: 2168
[quote="DollyDay":3ki608kf]My doc said you have a higher chance of getting a BFP in the first month off the pill but that sounded a bit strage to me.[/quote:3ki608kf] I went to see my doctor yesterday and he said the exact same thing to me. I have four months to the wedding and we are going to start trying immediately. I wanted to know if I should stay on the pill until then (want off it but worried about any changes to skin condition and weight before the wedding). He said stay on it as medically, there is no reason not to conceive very soon afterwards, in fact the chances are quite high. I'm 34 and on Cilest for 15 years.
mjm Posts: 393
It took me 16 months after coming off the pill to get BFP and I found coming off it very hard, had mood swings, got bloated and felt exhausted for about 2 cycles after. Its hard to know which is right for you but looking back, my cycles were never regular before the pill and were always on the very long side so chances are it was always going to take me a while to figure it out and get BFP if you were clockwork before the pill you could stay on it right up to ttc if you werent then thats a clue that you might take a bit longer to get it out of your system and get to know your cycle? Just my two cents worth. Best of luck. mjm
Jeidi Posts: 3128
I was off the pill for 6 months to give me time to regulate my cycles a bit and then got my BFP the first month we TTC.
sinion Posts: 6050
8 months