How long beforehand should invites be sent?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

AquariusGal Posts: 512
We're getting married June bank holiday and OH thinks in the next couple of weeks seeing as it's the bank holiday. My mum thinks it's mad and thinks we should wait until first week of April at least. Myself...I'm not sure! I know it's good to send them early to give people the chance to book hotel and stuff...but a lot of people already have rooms booked and stuff so not sure...thoughts?
lollypopwife Posts: 836
From what I've read on here I think 2-3 months beforehand is the usual amount of time? I def think April is cutting it tight since you are only just the 2 months beforehand and it is a very popular bank holiday for people to do stuff. If it was me I'd be aiming to get them out at least mid way through this month (well by this month I mean March). Ours is Easter weekend next year and because of that (it being a weekend people might have plans) I will be erring on the side of getting invites out early rather than delaying til the minimum!
Elphaba Posts: 741
We sent ours out 11 weeks before just in case, it was great to get them out early, one less thing to worry about. We also had the RSVP date 4 weeks before the wedding, means we could sort mostly everything out plan wise a few weeks before the wedding, rather then getting rushed at the end.
Daisy Row Posts: 3650
We sent ours out 11 weeks beforehand with an RSVP of 4 weeks before the date. One of my guests commented that she has another wedding the week after mine which is the May bank holiday and she got theirs before mine so I guess it's normal to send invites for bank holiday weddings that bit earlier than the norm. If it was me I'd aim to have them posted by mid March.
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
I would agree with the other posters, we married a week after a BH weekend and had a Friday wedding so gave plenty of notice. Also, if you have any invites going to people who live abroad get them out ASAP so people have plenty of time to arrange flights, time off etc. We sent our invites to those guests about a week before the bulk of the rest.
flomeo Posts: 249
I'm getting married on the August Bank Hol and we're sending them out in April sometime. Friends have already had to try a few b&bs to get one with availibility and we sent accomm lists to those travelling from abroad at Christmas time! I had serious bother renting a house for the week running up to the wedding (Not getting married in my hometown) and i tried last October! Bank hols are so busy- defo sooner rather than later. There will be a number of weddings that weekend wherever you are getting married, hens and stags and just regular bank hol weekenders!
Lindy79 Posts: 460
[quote="flomeo":3t6upac2]I'm getting married on the August Bank Hol and we're sending them out in April sometime. Friends have already had to try a few b&bs to get one with availibility and we sent accomm lists to those travelling from abroad at Christmas time! I had serious bother renting a house for the week running up to the wedding (Not getting married in my hometown) and i tried last October! Bank hols are so busy- defo sooner rather than later. There will be a number of weddings that weekend wherever you are getting married, hens and stags and just regular bank hol weekenders![/quote:3t6upac2] So are we and I was thinking beginning of May. I have them finished so just need to finalise the invite list. I do think the earlier the better especially around holidays.