How long do you get out of a Crib?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

007Babs Posts: 417
Girls, How long do you get out of a crib (as opposed to a cot)? I know they grow out of Moses Baskets in a couple of months.
jen2 Posts: 3106
I think it depend on the size of the baby, but you get about 3 months from a Moses basket (I got 9.5 wks and 11 wks) and about 5- 6 months from a crib. Jen2
Sphynx Posts: 6795
The shops tell you 6 months anyway, though I guess it depends on the baby. I think unti they can pull themselves right up is the real answer because the cribs are a lot shallower than a cot.
Cowslip Posts: 761
I also heard from my friend who gave us ours, that once they get bigger they can hurt their little arms hitting them off the bars, I think thats why she took her son out of his, although he is a big baby as well...
Thanks girls! It is so hard to decide what to buy! I thought I would buy a cot for our bedroom for night and a crib for downstairs during the day because baby would get longer out of it. But I don't want them hurting their little arms. Then I would get a travel cot for visiting. Very hard to know. What are you all doing / did you do??
Sphynx Posts: 6795
Babs if you are getting a travel cot for overnight visits you could leave it up downstairs in your own house (if you have room) the rest of the time. There is a "bassinet" in travel cots that you can sleep a new-born baby in and it can double-up as a playpen (say for when you want to answer the door or phone) later on. Two mums recommended this to me so we're thinking of doing that...just seems a bit mad as we will have a crib in our bedroom, a cot (eventually) in the baby's room, a moses basket (we're being given) for a couple of months downstairs and maybe a travel cot!!! Talk about belt and braces! :o0 Think the travel cot does up to 3 months though so would be a good investment and I think you get a changing station with them too?
Hi ya Sphynx, I thought about doing this alright but then I worried would they have adequate support for all baby's sleeps during the day? I was thinking that as they are just travel cots, that this meant they were only good enough for using sometimes, if you know what I mean?
sunflowers26/09/07 Posts: 512
I used a crip for DD for just over 6 months, her pram had a carry cot part which she slept in during the day. She is now nearly 1, I have a travel cot filled with toys which she sits in during the day if I have to do anything. HTH