How long does it take to get a wedding dress??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

littlechick Posts: 758
Hi girls, me and OH are saving for our wedding at the moment. We have no date yet. We are planning on getting engaged next year and having our wedding soon after. We would only like an engagement of around 4/6 months. I am not going to book anything until I get engaged so that will only give me 4/6 months to organise the wedding. I am fairly easy going and wont be too fixed on certain dates or venues etc... But with the dress how long does it take for a shop to order them in?? Get them altered etc?? I have a petite frame and would be a size 8 so I don't think I could get one to fit me off the peg. Also to order these dresses from America how long does that take? Have any of you done this successfully and been happy with what you received?? Is there any good websites you would recommend to go down this route?? Not sure if I would be brave enough to order off the Internet!
fifi09 Posts: 414
Hi there I ordered my dress the second week in Feb and it arrived about 2 weeks ago so it took just over 5 months to come in. It's a perfect fit so I don't need any alterations but I'd imagine that you should leave approx 4-6 weeks for alterations depending on where you buy from. Hope that helps *)
Starbar2010 Posts: 1261
I've ordered my dress in June (1st week) not here yet, dont expect it for another 2 months so 5 months ish, it will prob need alterations as I ordered it in the size I tried on in the shop but this will be too big for me as I have lost weight. (but thats a good complaint) I know someone who ordered a dress recently and they were told 2-3 months
GreenerPastures Posts: 7284
In my experience they needed at least 20 weeks for bridesmaids dresses in some places. Online they can take from 10 to 16 weeks, but don't forget if you order online to factor in VAT and excise duty. I think it's about 33.5%! Bridal gowns they say you should order 6 months in advance but it depends on the shop and the dress, I was told in another they could have it in 4 months. You need to also remember to leave time for alterations. Sorry if I sound negative. Don't worry, it will all fall into place for you. :wv
keyra Posts: 801
I ordered my dress in mid August and it arrived in early December, so it took less than 4 months and it was more or less perfect, just needs to be taken up and fitted at the bust. If you give yourself 6 months that should be loads. Don't forget about time for alterations. If you want to buy off the peg, thats also a good option if youre short on time. My FSIL got engaged in March and got married last weekend, so only had a 4 month engagement, she bought a sample Jenny Packham dress which needed only minor alterations and it was the most beautiful dress i have ever seen. I'm sure you will get a beautiful dress eitherway.
theveilcollection Posts: 11
[quote="littlechick":3pqcnfse]Hi girls, me and OH are saving for our wedding at the moment. We have no date yet. We are planning on getting engaged next year and having our wedding soon after. We would only like an engagement of around 4/6 months. I am not going to book anything until I get engaged so that will only give me 4/6 months to organise the wedding. I am fairly easy going and wont be too fixed on certain dates or venues etc... But with the dress how long does it take for a shop to order them in?? Get them altered etc?? I have a petite frame and would be a size 8 so I don't think I could get one to fit me off the peg. Also to order these dresses from America how long does that take? Have any of you done this successfully and been happy with what you received?? Is there any good websites you would recommend to go down this route?? Not sure if I would be brave enough to order off the Internet![/quote:3pqcnfse] And for a wedding veil check us out: http://theveilcollection.com no custom fees & we offer FREE delivery :-)
puppet Posts: 61
My dress was ordered in Feb and not due till october so it 8 months or so. Bridesmaids are taking about 4 months. But you can get places where you can buy off the peg or put on a rush order. My weddings not till Feb 2010 so I wasn't too pushed
2010BABY Posts: 96
My dres took 3 months to come in. (Because we only decided to marry feb and big day june,) I could only chose from a limited number of dresses because alot of dresses take between 3-6-8 months. I would be out looking well in advance to make sure that the dress you want, has enough time to come in :) In saying that i loved my dress and would not of picked anything else :) :thnk