how long pushing for 2nd baby

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

i want one Posts: 2893
starting to think about the birth now. :ooh the pushing went on for quiet a while with DD1 so just wondering how long much longer or shorter was the pushing phase for you on baby 2. thanks :thnk
Silini2 Posts: 3834
Pushing was longer for me on my second. Sorry!! But with dd1 I had very high bp due to ore eclampsia which they say causes faster pushing phase. Dd1 was less than an hour pushing, I think only 45 mins. dd2 1.5 hours
Emme Posts: 4735
40 minutes on second baby...took me aaaggggess to get the hang of it though so could have been much more efficient. 80 minutes on DS although the midwife said the first 20 were just practicing!!
Silini2 Posts: 3834
I should have added that I had epi due to being on drip for both so obviously my pushing was not as efficient as maybe if I'd been drug free!
strangeangel Posts: 1269
3 minutes - it was brilliant :) 1st was 35 minutes, which I know wasn't too bad either. Can only recommend pushing in an upright position as a result!
vanilla icecream Posts: 2125
6 mins :eek it was just such a quick labour!! ds1 was pushing for 20 mins
hestia Posts: 2368
About a week. We're not long after the first but I'm a shipwreck in maternal years. I qualify for tilted head responses from midwifes whose voices drop an octave when I reveal my age - 39 (I could hear that sharp intake of breath from here) and a grimace from my GP like she's about to deliver unexpected news. 39? Me? No way. I thought it that rare premature aging condition. Anyway, we were on the first night out together in ages for what I thought was an opportunity to pint him into committing to a holiday but somewhere between the double chocolate cheesecake and the third expresso, we clinked cups to the possibility of another. G'luck with your puuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuushing. I'm nearly sure I just saw a ticker in Irish. Must get these eyes tested.
thanks ladies :thnk anymore responses? vanilla and strangeangel omg wow i hope im like that. 99 mins on the first for me but had the epidural so i guess that didnt help the pushing either. im ready for it this time tho i think :o0 strange angel do you mean upright as in standing up? sorry if a silly question. silini sorry yours went on for longer :ooh but i suppose at the end of the day a beautiful baby is the main thing i hope ill be back on soon saying it only lasted a few mins tho :o0 emme even half the time of the first one id be happy, altho i did have epidural last time and thinking i might not want one this time so i dont know if im kidding myself with the 50 mins of pushing through the pain :o0 :innocent: :innocent:
thanks ladies :thnk anymore responses? vanilla and strangeangel omg wow i hope im like that. 99 mins on the first for me but had the epidural so i guess that didnt help the pushing either. im ready for it this time tho i think :o0 strange angel do you mean upright as in standing up? sorry if a silly question. silini sorry yours went on for longer :ooh but i suppose at the end of the day a beautiful baby is the main thing i hope ill be back on soon saying it only lasted a few mins tho :o0 emme even half the time of the first one id be happy, altho i did have epidural last time and thinking i might not want one this time so i dont know if im kidding myself with the 50 mins of pushing through the pain :o0 :innocent: :innocent:
missc Posts: 875
I was 90mins on dd1 no epi. I read that 1hr 20 is average for first time with no epi and 20 mins is average then for 2nd. I'm praying this is true!! :-8