How long??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

anastasia beaverhausen Posts: 175
Hi girls, I know this topic has probably been debated to death on this forum, but I'm kinda new here, y'see. Just looking for an average as to how long it takes for your first proper period after coming off the pill? I'm not sure I understand half of the chat abbreviations either! :-8
charlie crown Posts: 377
Hi and welcome! I think it can take up to 6 months for cycles to regulate after coming of the pill, don't have personal experience so maybe the other girls can be more help on that one. I've bumped up a topic on abbreviations for you, it's a minefield!! Good luck with TTC (trying to conceive!)
mjm Posts: 393
Hi Anastasia, well I got my first proper AF (period) after 36 days and second cylce was 42 days, I am currently at the start of the third cycle and hoping it'll be a bit more normal but I have a feeling my body could take a while to return to normality. Hope it works out easily for you mjm
strawberry shortcake Posts: 9094
heres a question for you, if your on the pill and know when your ovulating presuming your cycle is the same length which it usually is on the pill. if you stop the pill the day or a few before you ovulate would this work to get preg? sorry anastasia dont mean to be hijacking your post.
Cowslip Posts: 761
Strawberry, You don't ovulate while your on the pill. The hormones in the pill prevent ovualtion and also I think make your cm less friendly to sperm and I think there is a third thing it does to stop pregnancy happening, something to do with the lining ! Anatasia, I came off the pill in June and went straight back to a regular 28 day cycle..but I used to have a 30 day cycle before going on the pill so it isn't the same as before, and my af (aunt flow aka period) is very light, lighter then on the pill, whereas before I ever went on the pill I had a much heavier af. So I wouldn't say I am back to normal at all, but my cycles are very regular... But everyone is different, plenty of girls go straight back to their old cycle.
Ozzie Posts: 45
I'd be interested in seeing some answers to this post also! I came off the pill in June this year and still haven't got a period...I assumed that it would take time for my body to get back to normal, but to be honest I never thought it would take this long! Unfortunately I don't have the answer, but just to let you know you're not on your own!
Cowslip Posts: 761
Ozzie....have you been to your doctor about that ? If I were you I would be in getting a few tests done, 4-5 months is a long time with no af at all...! I presume you know for sure that you are not pregnant ;o)
Ozzie Posts: 45
Have done a few tests just to be 100% sure...but defo not pregnant!! I'm not really sure what to do to be honest...I knew it would take some time for my period to return, but the more its dragging on the more concerned I'm getting! I didn't want to go to the doc coz I didn't want to sound like a hypo (silly I know!)!! Was gonna go after Xmas...but maybe I should make an appointment sooner :-) Thanks for your reply.
december29 Posts: 395
my first cycle after the pill was 67 days, second was 44 days, currently on 3rd cycle. went to doctor during the first cycle, was at about cd 63 at the time and he said it can take 3 months for it to come back to normal and if nothing had happened by then to come back to him.
Mama Smurf Posts: 1447
My cycles are longer now after coming off the pill and extremely light, lightr even than when i was on the pill. so light that i had myself convinced that was why i miscarried recently. the doctor has reassured me today that this is not the reason though and a light period would not play a part in miscarrying