How long will I have to stay in hospital after a section?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

preghopes Posts: 468
Hi ladies Just wondering how many nights I would have to stay if I have another C Section. Last time it was 4 nights. I know its not a huge stay but to be honest I would love to get home after 2 nights or something. I found it very hard in the hospital last time with been up all night with LO and not able to do anything after section.. I really felt things would have been so much easier at home with help
BusyDee Posts: 8527
2 nights might be pushing it tbh but it depends on how you feel, how were you last time? I stayed 4 nights on both sections - on second I felt like I could go after 3 nights but I stayed the extra night just for a bit of a rest tbh!! See how you feel - I'm not sure can they stop you or not anyway if you insist on going home earlier?
amberjack Posts: 1273
I spent 4 nights on my first and 6 on my second (only because my little man had jaundice and was in a billy blanket) but I'd say 3 to 4 would be the min. Deepening on stitches they may need to come out on day 5, so you may have to go in for that as with the heel prick test
amazinguniverse Posts: 64
I spent five nights in hospital after I gave birth two weeks ago. I was ready to go home after three days but my baby was in neo natal for two nights so I was allowed to stay the extra nights so I could express for night feeds and breastfeed during the day.
Bigsurprise Posts: 961
Hospitals might have different policies but you can def go home after 3 nights in Hs as long as everything ok obviously. As a second time Mum I would say you will be ok doing that. The midwives won't suggest it but they won't say no either. If your doctor visits the ward you can ask him/her
Rosewater Posts: 372
I stayed 2 nights after a planned section with my first baby. I asked the consultant if I could go home cos I felt well and that I would have more comfort and support at home, the public health nurse came to visit me and I had to give myself an injection for the following 4 or 5 days. It depends on how you feel, you will know after the section, play it by ear ~ best of luck!
RainbowNinja Posts: 4437
I was in 6 nights as DS was on antibiotics and so they kept us in an extra night. Girl in the bed beside me was let out after 4 nights as there was a family funeral
BusyDee Posts: 8527
The PHN can do the heel prick test at home - did you not have disolvable stitches amberjack? I thought majority of hospitals used them now.
amberjack Posts: 1273
I always got my heel prick done in hospital, not sure if my PHN does them. Re stitches I've found that different consultants use different types of stitches, mine always went with a bend stitch (rotunda)
jdurso Posts: 351
I had an emergency one but was under the car of Domino midwives so the doctors approved me for home visits - so basically a midwife came to see me everyday for 5 days after I was released, I had my son on Wednesday morning and was home on the Friday lunchtime, had the heel prick done by a midwife on the Sunday - best of luck!