how long will you last?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Ducky Posts: 2506
Hi, Can I ask when ye are all finishing up work? I really don’t know how much longer I can go on. I am not due to finish for another four weeks when I will be 38 weeks gone but am sorely tempted to see if doc will sign me off when I see him next week. It’s not so much my job but just the strain on my body. My knuckles and joints in my swollen hands ache and I have pins and needles (presume it’s carpel tunnel syndrome) and typing is taking so much longer — not good in my line of work I assure you. My ankles are like balloons and the ligaments are really sore and weak so walking any distance is a no-no. My hips are being held in place by a belt as I can barely put weight on my left leg and now, thanks to only being able to sleep on my side, my hips are even worse (when I turn over at night, I nearly scream in pain) and my shoulders are sore. I know I’m having a right ungrateful moan and believe me, the little one can do no wrong in my eyes, but my body is really rebelling now. Maybe I should be finishing up sooner... Then other times, I think that I’m only a few weeks away and to stick it out...but come to think of it, I know of very few women who worked full time until 38 weeks. What have ye found?
jen2 Posts: 3106
I worked up until 35 weeks,on my son. Took 3 weeks holidays and then started maternity leave. Strange think was I went into labour that night. Found that very funny. It was a slow labour and had son 12 days later. If you feel the way you do, I would go to doc and get sick certs. There is no point working to a point where you feel unwell, in pain etc. Get to the docs, and finish with work. Jen2
jellybaby Posts: 2316
Ducky, sorry to hear you've been having a hard time, I've been there, I know how tough it is. I worked til 38 weeks based on my own due date of Dec 7th....but up to 39 weeks based on the hospital's due date of Dec 1st (they were wrong though as baby arrived on my due date, but that's another story :o0). I developed spd at 18 weeks, and as I got bigger it just became harder and harder. I don't have a manual job, but it was still exhausting and so painful. I took a week off sick at 30 weeks, but I found it very hard to get a doctors cert - I had to go back in every two days as she'd only give me a couple of days cert at a time. While it was great to have the week off (felt so refreshed after it), it wasn't worth the hassle :o(. As you said yourself about only having a few weeks left - that's what I had to keep telling myself "Only 4 weeks left", "Only 3 weeks left", etc. If you're finding it so hard though, definitely ask about the cert. It's just a job at the end of the day, it's not worth it. You and your baby are far more important, so if you're concerned about letting your employer down, etc, then don't be!! Take care *)
Itisasecret Posts: 389
Hiya Ducky, I am 36 weeks now and have 2 weeks left in work. Although I am not sleeping as well and am much slower moving around- I'm ok. My BIG ailment is heartburn. My job us flexible enough at the mo in that I have some late meetings but if I was in the full 9-5 + commute I'd say I'd be tearing my hair out. I am going to take each day as it comes but the one piece of advice I took from the antenatal classes is that a well rested Mammy will cope with labour much better. I dread the thought of finishing on the Friday and being in the labour ward the next day! Get a note and go sick if you at the end of your tether. You sound like you are just there- no point suffering! Let us know x
Thanks for the feedback guys. Once I am at my desk I am fine but we start very early (7 or 8am depending) and generally work through (including lunch at desk) until 4-5pm. I just find the driving, parking, bus, walk trip tough twice a day (and my comnmute is not long) and to then go home and do dinner, run a house etc is tough when I am hardly sleeping. I have been trying to take one day a week off as holidays but find I face a mountain of work the next day! My GP will pull me out of work if I ask, no problem, as he is already threatening to put me on crutches for my back but I swore I would try and stick it out. Maybe it's just a case of reminding myself how little I have left and to try and relax more in evenings... Thanks for listening, just having a tough day
Thanks for the feedback guys. Once I am at my desk I am fine but we start very early (7 or 8am depending) and generally work through (including lunch at desk) until 4-5pm. I just find the driving, parking, bus, walk trip tough twice a day (and my comnmute is not long) and to then go home and do dinner, run a house etc is tough when I am hardly sleeping. I have been trying to take one day a week off as holidays but find I face a mountain of work the next day! My GP will pull me out of work if I ask, no problem, as he is already threatening to put me on crutches for my back but I swore I would try and stick it out. Maybe it's just a case of reminding myself how little I have left and to try and relax more in evenings... Thanks for listening, just having a tough day
Itisasecret Posts: 389
That's a long and tough day Ducky- don't try to be Superwoman and maybe compromise and see how it goes. Each day is getting harder towards the end... listen to you body! And take care! *)
grumpy Posts: 1280
I've been finished for 2 weeks now (although my official mat leave only begins today!) and before that, I worked half days since week 34 as I was so tired. The nurse in the gp would have signed me off then, no problem, but I would have felt too guilty, and was happy to work just half days. Take the time if you need it, and stop trying to run the house - it can wait.
irish bride Posts: 558
Hiya, I had planned to work up until 3 weeks before baba was due but didnt last that long. Work was stressful and i was letting it get to me, but to be honest i could have kept going except that i was shattered, emotional, my back was in constant pain, and the painful BH were just not funny when i was groaning at my desk (scared the hell out of someone in work one day ha ha!). As soon as i had a checkup with my doc she signed me off immediately - have been off for 8 days now - should be starting my maternity leave tomorrow would you believe. Getting signed off was the best thing that could have happened to me, i am feeling better, not at all stressed, and can control my body and rest when i need it. You should talk to your doc about your maternity leave and what you should do - just remember to look after number one! take care xxx
mrsbling Posts: 28
my friend was due to finish this thursday and had a little boy last saturda!! all went very fast and shocked the life out of her as she was looking forward to a few weeks off before he arrived, but hey hes here now!!